Clash of the conkers in Barnstaple
- Credit: Archant
Have you got what it takes to be king of the horse chestnuts at the annual conker bash in the Reform Inn, Pilton, on Sunday, October 27?
THE clash of conkers will echo across Barnstaple on Sunday as hopefuls head to the Reform Inn at Pilton to find out who will be crowned North Devon conker champion.
Landlords Esther and Gavin Davies will be hosting the annual butting of horse chestnuts from 3pm, with is free to enter, with all welcome to have a crack at being the last conker ‘standing’.
A beer festival will also be running from Friday to Sunday, together with live music on Friday at 9pm courtesy of local band Raining Globe plus a Mod Night with DJ Snob on Saturday, also at 9pm.
Conker competitors should bring their own string, but the only conkers allowed are those supplied on the day from Barum Brewery owner Tim Webster’s own tree.
You may also want to watch:
Simply sign up, pick your weapon of choice from the tray provided – none of which have been baked, boiled, pickled or tampered with in any way – and enter the heats.
There is a trophy for the winner and runner up, and contestants may wish to make a voluntary donation towards organising the Pilton Festival next year.
- 1 Brother told sister 'you're dead' after birthday party bust-up
- 2 Man with 'fearsome' ornamental knife arrested in Barnstaple
- 3 Ilfracombe dressage star Caitlin Burgess pursues Olympic dream
- 4 PICTURES: New Bideford book merges old pictures with new
- 5 Chaos guaranteed at the first Bideford Soapbox Derby
- 6 Assault and attempted robbery near Tarka Trail
- 7 Man arrested after 'serious assault' outside Barnstaple nightclub
- 8 North Devon grandad takes on 700 mile cycling challenge
- 9 Drink driver banned after Ilfracombe Lidl crash
- 10 Holsworthy conveyancer crowned Young Practitioner of the Year
“It’s a simple knockout competition, right down to the last two,” said Tim.
“Mind you, it makes a nice mess of the pub floor by the time we’ve finished.”