Church roof appeal takes off
Good news for the congregation of historic St Thomas’ Church at Kentisbury
THE medieval St Thomas’ church at Kentisbury is a huge step closer to much needed repairs after being awarded a �113,000 grant.
Following confirmation of the grant from the Heritage Lottery Fund and English Heritage, the church congregation and the community are now determined to raise the extra �50,000 needed to fix the leaking roof before the historic building suffers severe damage.
Apart from essential repairs, the last people to touch the roof were the Victorians and its roof nails are badly corroded, with many slates coming loose and water leaking into the building.
The Reverend Leslie Austin, Team Rector of the Shirwell Team, said the grant would help pay for this and other works to three of the four roof pitches, whose timber frames were also likely to require work following water damage.
You may also want to watch:
“It is wonderful news and we would like to thank English Heritage and the HLF for this generous grant,” he added.
“I would also like to thank the community for its response – people have already started fund raising, with Sunday’s Big Breakfast at the village hall far more successful than we ever dreamed it would be.”
- 1 £2.1m upgrade will provide space for 38 new North Devon jobs
- 2 Drink spiking crackdown after needle attack - Devon Police
- 3 Bideford's First Food and Drink Festival coming soon
- 4 Real ice rink coming to Barnstaple Christmas Village
- 5 Torrington woman rebuilds her life after devastating stroke
- 6 'Neglected' North Devon taxi firm challenged by councillors
- 7 Appeal goes out to patients as Devon's health service buckle under pressure
- 8 Cyclist left with ‘serious head injuries’ after incident in Bideford
- 9 Vandalism at Bideford's Brunswick Wharf development condemned
- 10 Legg Power in ChemoHero fundraising
Anyone who would like to help the fund raising effort for St Thomas’ Church or organise an event is invited to call Margaret Purchase on (01598) 763207 or Dena Denham on 763491.