Chulmleigh Youth Centre go-ahead
A 21st Century, purpose-built, youth centre for Chulmleigh has just taken a step closer, with planning permission approved with no objections.
The final elements of the funding package are now in place and building work should begin early in the New Year, with completion expected next June.
The centre will be adjacent to the Chulmleigh Sports Hall and will include facilities such as a large kitchen area, office, workshop and meeting rooms, as well as access to the sports hall and the multi-use games area in the same complex.
The new centre will be used during the day as well as evenings, hosting a range of activities and programmes, including youth services, inclusion work for children with special educational needs, band practice and dance workshops, Duke of Edinburgh and Ten Tors training and youth centre nights. It will also be available for community and private lettings.
A partnership between Chulmleigh Community College, Chulmleigh Sports Centre Committee and local residents and young people has enabled the project to take place, along with financial contributions from Devon County Council, Chulmleigh Community College and from the Invest In Devon funding from the sale of Exeter Airport.
Local Devon County Councillor Richard Edgell said: “I am delighted to see the fruition of this long awaited new youth facility for Chulmleigh, which will gain maximum use, through the college’s use of it during the day and the community using it in the evenings and at weekends.”
Councillor Christine Channon, Devon County Council’s Cabinet Member for Schools and Skills, said: “This is a highly important step in the process for Chulmleigh’s new youth centre and I am delighted that we have reached a final design which has met the needs of local young people and the wider community. The project is the result of a superb partnership between the council, the school, the local community and young people in the area. Through working with us, they have been instrumental in deciding how the new centre will look and what services it will offer.”
- 1 Indecent exposure near Barnstaple park under investigation
- 2 Christmas Drive-In Cinema coming to Barnstaple
- 3 OPINION: Myth busting the Green Lanes purchase - David Worden
- 4 Hero soldier auctioning medals to provide ‘best opportunities’ for his children
- 5 Property of the Week: Hanson Park - Northam
- 6 Bideford Christmas Light Switch On dates announced
- 7 Police seek owner of bike found after car stolen in Barnstaple
- 8 OPINION: Channel your inner Wim Hof in Saunton this weekend
- 9 OPINION: Support North Devon's fantastic live music venues - Andy McAuley
- 10 North Devon’s first ever real ice rink opens this week