Christmas present for Devon roads
Devon is to receive more than �9 million in extra funding to help repair the county’s roads.
The county council has welcomed an announcement by the Department for Transport of a �215 million nationwide investment to renew, repair and extend the life of roads across the country.
Devon will receive a �9.252 million share of this capital funding over the next two years for highway maintenance - just over �6 million this coming financial year and more than �3.2 million in 2014/15.
The severe weather in July left the county with a clean-up and repair bill of more than �5 million and a further �3 million of damage was caused in November.
Councillor Stuart Hughes, the county’s cabinet member for highways and transportation, said: “This is very good news and is exactly the sort of support we have been calling for following the severe flooding in Devon this year. Our county took a battering last month and in the summer. That has devastated many communities and has impacted on our local infrastructure.
You may also want to watch:
“With more than 8,000 miles of roads, we have a larger network to maintain than any other authority in the country. Our roads are vital to our local economy and the flooding has hit Devon particularly hard. I’m pleased that the Government has recognised that with this grant. It’s an early Christmas present, if you like, and it will help us in our sustained efforts to repair our roads.”
- 1 820 homes approved for Landkey despite council concern
- 2 Northam man who searched for child pornography sent on treatment course
- 3 Man seriously injured at Appledore Quay - Witness Appeal
- 4 PICTURES: Women 'Walk Taller Than The Trees' at Nightwalk 2021
- 5 Torridge launches Waste and Recycling Roadshows
- 6 PICTURES: Bideford 10k is back for 2021
- 7 Tributes paid to North Devon librarian Ian Tansley
- 8 Arts Council England announces support for North Devon
- 9 Dolton remembers resident Rolling Stone Charlie Watts
- 10 'Controversial' plan to close mental health centres in North Devon