Christmas kindness helps children across the world
THANKS to the kindness of people throughout Devon, Operation Christmas Child is sending over 34,800 shoeboxes full of presents from here to children facing difficult lives in several countries. The shoeboxes full of presents have been donated by members o
THANKS to the kindness of people throughout Devon, Operation Christmas Child is sending over 34,800 shoeboxes full of presents from here to children facing difficult lives in several countries.
The shoeboxes full of presents have been donated by members of the public, schools, companies, churches and organisations from communities across the county, including Axminster, Barnstaple, Bideford, Bovey Tracey, Buckfastleigh, Dartmouth, Exeter, Honiton, Ilfracombe, Minehead, Newton Abbot, Paignton, Plymouth, Teignmouth, Tiverton, Torquay and Totnes.
They were checked in the Operation Christmas Child processing centres and are being sent to children in Belarus, Romania, Serbia and Ukraine.
"On behalf of Operation Christmas Child and all our volunteers, I just want to send a huge 'thank you' to every single person who donated a shoebox this year," said regional manager Roger Fenton. "This has been a hard year for many people in Devon and we are just knocked out by the fact so many of them have put together a shoebox. It has such a positive effect on the child that receives it and I want everyone here to know that their gifts make a real difference.
You may also want to watch:
"When they arrive in the destination country the shoeboxes are distributed on the basis of need by local organisations, charities and churches to children aged between two and 14 years, many living in orphanages, street shelters, hospitals, displaced persons camps or whose families are facing hardship due to poverty. The joy the shoeboxes bring lightens their lives and the care and consideration that people here put into choosing their gifts shines through in the personal touches and in the items they send."
Operation Christmas Child is one of the main annual projects run by Samaritan's Purse, the evangelical Christian humanitarian aid charity.
- 1 Northam Murder: Accused carer told police he 'loved her to bits'
- 2 PICTURES: Prince of Wales and Duchess of Cornwall visit The Burton at Bideford
- 3 Jewellery and cash stolen in Barnstaple burglary
- 4 PICTURES: Duchess of Cornwall visits Little Bridge House in Fremington
- 5 Bideford man dies after Link Road crash near South Molton
- 6 'Spot The Oddity' in Bideford for your chance to win £100
- 7 Plan to replace old North Devon Leisure Centre with housing submitted
- 8 Britain’s most influential artists exhibit at The Burton at Bideford
- 9 Northam Murder: Expert says trail of clues link carer to the scene
- 10 A361: Crash involving car and lorry blocks Link Road near South Molton