Christmas food parcels bring festive cheer to families in crisis
- Credit: Archant
More donations flood in from generous Gazette readers.
GENEROUS Gazette readers have been continuing to donate Christmas items to our Give a Christmas Gift food bank appeal.
Festive goodies have been flying into the Gazette offices in Barnstaple, and we’ve already delivered a car boot full to the team at Northern Devon Foodbank.
Duncan Withall of Northern Devon Foodbank, said Christmas food parcels would begin going out to local families this week.
He said: “We’ve had a good lot of stuff come in and are in the process of sorting it all out in one room and making up the parcels.
You may also want to watch:
“We start distribution tomorrow (Wednesday) and will be handing out the Christmas parcels for two weeks leading up to Christmas.
“It’s a lovely idea and it’s working really well – many thanks to the Gazette readers for all their help.”
- 1 North Devon Healthcare Trust department awarded Academic status
- 2 Barnstaple Fair set to return for 2021 - 'May the show go on!'
- 3 Northam Murder: 'Merciless' carer gets life for killing client who caught him stealing
- 4 Man dies after crash involving two lorries and a motorbike near Torrington
- 5 Council bids for Levelling Up funding for Ilfracombe
- 6 Man dies after 'single vehicle collision' on the A386
- 7 MP opens new Northam Burrows Visitor Centre at Westward Ho!
- 8 Woman reportedly assaulted at Bideford park - Police seek witnesses
- 9 Northam Murder: Carer guilty of brutal murder of frail widow
- 10 Plan for 173 homes on Torrington Creamery site approved despite no affordable homes
In the two weeks leading up to Christmas, food banks in Barnstaple, Bideford and South Molton will be handing out more than 250 Christmas food parcels to people in crisis.
They have drawn up a shopping list of Christmas items they’d like to offer clients alongside their regular parcel of essential food items.
Extras such as mince pies, tinned ham, a box of biscuits or Christmas crackers could make a small difference to families facing big financial pressures.
Readers can continue to donate Christmas items until December 18. Donations can be made at food banks in Barnstaple, Bideford or South Molton; Barclays Bank in Bideford or Torrington, or Halifax in Barnstaple High Street.