Choirs combine in majestic settings
Barnstaple choirs take their talents to historic Devon venues
TWO Barnstaple choirs combined to perform joint concerts at two of Devon’s most iconic venues.
The Barnstaple Male Voice Choir and Barnstaple Ladies Choir sang together at a packed Buckfast Abbey before heading back up the A38 to perform at Exeter Cathedral later that day.
The choirs performed a varied programme including renditions of You Raise Me Up and Ave Verum.
The concert also included oboe solos by Zoe Cartlidge and rousing organ solos from Mark James on the Abbey’s magnificent organ.
You may also want to watch:
The men’s choir was conducted by Derek Trewin and accompanied by Mike James, while the ladies were conducted by Mary Chant and accompanied by Peggy Spiers, with compere Cliff Vickery.
“To hear the sound echo around such a vast space was magnificent and again a marvellous concert was enjoyed by all,” said Lynne Beer, secretary of Barnstaple Ladies Choir.
- 1 Northam Murder: Accused carer told police he 'loved her to bits'
- 2 PICTURES: Prince of Wales and Duchess of Cornwall visit The Burton at Bideford
- 3 Jewellery and cash stolen in Barnstaple burglary
- 4 PICTURES: Duchess of Cornwall visits Little Bridge House in Fremington
- 5 Bideford man dies after Link Road crash near South Molton
- 6 'Spot The Oddity' in Bideford for your chance to win £100
- 7 Britain’s most influential artists exhibit at The Burton at Bideford
- 8 Plan to replace old North Devon Leisure Centre with housing submitted
- 9 Northam Murder: Expert says trail of clues link carer to the scene
- 10 A361: Crash involving car and lorry blocks Link Road near South Molton
“It was a great honour for both choirs to be able to sing in two such marvellous venues and the memorable day will stay with us for a long time.”