Choirs combine in majestic settings
Barnstaple choirs take their talents to historic Devon venues
TWO Barnstaple choirs combined to perform joint concerts at two of Devon’s most iconic venues.
The Barnstaple Male Voice Choir and Barnstaple Ladies Choir sang together at a packed Buckfast Abbey before heading back up the A38 to perform at Exeter Cathedral later that day.
The choirs performed a varied programme including renditions of You Raise Me Up and Ave Verum.
The concert also included oboe solos by Zoe Cartlidge and rousing organ solos from Mark James on the Abbey’s magnificent organ.
You may also want to watch:
The men’s choir was conducted by Derek Trewin and accompanied by Mike James, while the ladies were conducted by Mary Chant and accompanied by Peggy Spiers, with compere Cliff Vickery.
“To hear the sound echo around such a vast space was magnificent and again a marvellous concert was enjoyed by all,” said Lynne Beer, secretary of Barnstaple Ladies Choir.
- 1 Small-time drug dealer 'caught red-handed'
- 2 County Council Elections: Candidates for Torridge
- 3 County Council Elections: Candidates for North Devon
- 4 12 countries announced on travel green list from May 17
- 5 Police appeal after Barnstaple brawl
- 6 Dog Restrictions come into force on Westward Ho! Beach
- 7 North Devon seconds look to bounce back from heavy defeat
- 8 Bideford paramedic compensated after winning victimisation claim
- 9 Shocked Barnstaple burglary victim watched raid on phone
- 10 Devon County Council Elections: Candidate lists for North Devon and Torridge
“It was a great honour for both choirs to be able to sing in two such marvellous venues and the memorable day will stay with us for a long time.”