Choic e, not compulsion is best for consumers
SIR - Some of the more bizarre views expressed by Graham Watson, the Lib Dem MEP for the South West are, as often as not, greeted with cynical laughter by his Parliamentary colleagues. For example, his strong republican sympathies in supporting the abol
SIR - Some of the more bizarre views expressed by Graham Watson, the Lib Dem MEP for the South West are, as often as not, greeted with cynical laughter by his Parliamentary colleagues.
For example, his strong republican sympathies in supporting the abolition of the Monarchy must seem rather odd to his compatriots in the Scottish Government.
Very recently, however, he has excelled himself with a speech in the European Parliament in Strasbourg extolling the benefits to worldwide consumer protection of encouraging all of our citizens to stop eating meat.
I've heard this idea suggested in the context of climate change policy as a way to cut CO2 emissions but this really takes the biscuit. Come off it, Graham. You have surely represented the South West for long enough to learn how important the livestock industry is to our regional economy. And don't you think telling people to give up eating meat is a wee bit illiberal?
You may also want to watch:
As a vegetarian myself, I nonetheless firmly believe in choice over compulsion as the best way of consumer protection.
Giles Chichester MEP
- 1 52-year-old man dies in three car crash between Bideford and Torrington
- 2 Coveted Muddy Stiletto award for Bideford's Josie's Interiors
- 3 Police investigate midnight assault on scooter rider in Barnstaple
- 4 North Devon Healthcare Trust department awarded Academic status
- 5 Northam Murder: Grieving family condemn killer's lies and cruelty
- 6 Man dies after crash involving two lorries and a motorbike near Torrington
- 7 Woman reportedly assaulted at Bideford park - Police seek witnesses
- 8 Northam Murder: 'Merciless' carer gets life for killing client who caught him stealing
- 9 MP opens new Northam Burrows Visitor Centre at Westward Ho!
- 10 Man dies after 'single vehicle collision' on the A386
Conservative MEP for South West England and Gibraltar