Chivenor troops deploy to Afghanistan
Commando Logistic Regiment personnel will support transfer of British operations to 3 Commando
CHIVENOR-based Royal Navy, Royal Marine and Army personnel are deploying to Afghanistan over the next few weeks.
North Devon’s Commando Logistic Regiment will be supporting the soldiers, sailors and Royal Marines of 3 Commando Brigade, which is taking over responsibility of British operations in Helmand province.
The first of more than 380 troops to be deployed left the North Devon barracks last Tuesday night.
Commando Logistic Regiment commanding officer, Colonel Peter Taylor, said: “The specialist logistic elements of the regiment will be heading out on Operation Herrick 14, throughout March, for a six-month tour of duty.
You may also want to watch:
“The individuals and the command teams have been thoroughly prepared for the multitude of tasks, awaiting them and will meet them head-on.
“I would like to send out my thanks to our families, local community of North Devon and civilian staff for all their support and kind words as we depart on our challenging mission.”
- 1 £34,000 raised for plumber Jed Mason with stage four cancer in less than 48 hours
- 2 One of Bideford's oldest tea rooms sold at auction
- 3 Barnstaple dealer says £3,100 stash in loft was poor quality
- 4 New details on Barnstaple town centre regeneration revealed
- 5 Brunswick Wharf developer given grant money to fix quay wall
- 6 Homeless man jailed after attacking Barnstaple soldier in McDonald's
- 7 Opening of new nature reserve in Lynton
- 8 North Devon's largest private employer needs workers to expand
- 9 MISSING: Police search for David Kose from Ilfracombe
- 10 Celebrations as gate to Pilton's Manning's Pit officially opened