Chip shop charity stunt reels them in
Fish and chip restaurant nets a small fortune for the chemotherapy appeal
A PRIZE draw held a Barnstaple chippie has raised more than �1,500 towards a new chemotherapy unit at North Devon District Hospital.
Staff at the Pelican fish and chip shop at Sticklepath collected more than 50 prizes donated by local businesses and sold more than four books of raffle tickets during the six-week fund-raiser.
Waitress Stacey Green said they’d hoped to raise “a few hundred pounds” for the appeal but were astounded to discover they’d raised �1,626 when the draw was made on Easter Monday.
“We can’t believe how well it’s all gone,” said Stacey.
You may also want to watch:
“Customers, members of staff, local business and friends and family have all been so generous and we’d like to thank them for all their hard work.
“Most people seem to know someone who is going through chemotherapy and so many people came into the chip shop with their own stories to tell.”
- 1 'No Fuel' - Panic buying and fuel shortages hit North Devon
- 2 £34,000 raised for plumber Jed Mason with stage four cancer in less than 48 hours
- 3 One of Bideford's oldest tea rooms sold at auction
- 4 Clubber denies headbutt assault in Barnstaple
- 5 Brunswick Wharf developer given grant money to fix quay wall
- 6 Celebrations as gate to Pilton's Manning's Pit officially opened
- 7 New details on Barnstaple town centre regeneration revealed
- 8 Bideford's Millbrook Dairy awarded its first star at Great Taste Awards
- 9 Barnstaple dealer says £3,100 stash in loft was poor quality
- 10 Homeless man jailed after attacking Barnstaple soldier in McDonald's
Chemotherapy Appeal fund-raising manager Ian Roome, said: “This is another fantastic example of how people in North Devon are making a real difference by getting behind this campaign.
“Stacey and the team at the Pelican have done a marvellous job and it’s community efforts like this that will help make a brand new chemotherapy unit a reality.”
To find out more about the appeal and other ways in which you can help, visit the campaign website – www.northdevonhealth.nhs.uk/charity or telephone fund-raising manager Ian Roome on (01271) 311772 or email email@example.com
Alternatively, visit the special appeal page on the Gazette website – www.northdevongazette.co.uk/news/chemotherapy-unit-appeal
If you’ve got an event you’re holding in aid of the chemotherapy appeal, contact the Gazette newsdesk on (01271) 345056.