Chip shop charity stunt reels them in
Fish and chip restaurant nets a small fortune for the chemotherapy appeal
A PRIZE draw held a Barnstaple chippie has raised more than �1,500 towards a new chemotherapy unit at North Devon District Hospital.
Staff at the Pelican fish and chip shop at Sticklepath collected more than 50 prizes donated by local businesses and sold more than four books of raffle tickets during the six-week fund-raiser.
Waitress Stacey Green said they’d hoped to raise “a few hundred pounds” for the appeal but were astounded to discover they’d raised �1,626 when the draw was made on Easter Monday.
“We can’t believe how well it’s all gone,” said Stacey.
You may also want to watch:
“Customers, members of staff, local business and friends and family have all been so generous and we’d like to thank them for all their hard work.
“Most people seem to know someone who is going through chemotherapy and so many people came into the chip shop with their own stories to tell.”
- 1 UPDATE: Two people airlifted to hospital after A361 Link Road crash
- 2 North Devon men to swim the English Channel and back again
- 3 Bideford woman wins £70,000 and turns miles into trees
- 4 Thieves steal £3,500 of fragrances from Barnstaple department store
- 5 Farmer fined for ploughing up protected Iron Age remains
- 6 Rescue dog finally finds forever home after more than 200 days
- 7 Torrington school switches to remote learning after Covid cases
- 8 Barnstaple firm develops new anti-Covid alloy to replace stainless steel
- 9 Rare vehicles from Dave Vanstone Collection go to auction
- 10 Moore makes mark as North Devon beat Budleigh Salterton
Chemotherapy Appeal fund-raising manager Ian Roome, said: “This is another fantastic example of how people in North Devon are making a real difference by getting behind this campaign.
“Stacey and the team at the Pelican have done a marvellous job and it’s community efforts like this that will help make a brand new chemotherapy unit a reality.”
To find out more about the appeal and other ways in which you can help, visit the campaign website – www.northdevonhealth.nhs.uk/charity or telephone fund-raising manager Ian Roome on (01271) 311772 or email firstname.lastname@example.org
Alternatively, visit the special appeal page on the Gazette website – www.northdevongazette.co.uk/news/chemotherapy-unit-appeal
If you’ve got an event you’re holding in aid of the chemotherapy appeal, contact the Gazette newsdesk on (01271) 345056.