Chimney fire sparks pub evacuation

Sunday evening drama for drinkers at village inn.

PUB-goers were evacuated after a chimney caught fire at the Westleigh Inn, near Instow, yesterday evening (Sunday).

Firefighters from Bideford were alerted shortly after 7pm and used breathing equipment to enter the building, described as “heavily smoke logged”. Crews used one hose reel jet to extinguish the fire.

Pub manager Lorraine Llewellyn said the pub was still open for business as usual.

“There was no structural damage and thankfully the incident was all done and dusted within an hour,” she said.


You may also want to watch:


Become a Supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Become a Supporter