Chimney fire risk during cold snap

FIREFIGHTERS from Chulmleigh and Witheridge dealt with two chimney fires within the space of two hours yesterday afternoon (Sunday). A crew from Witheridge used ladders and chimney gear to tackle a blaze Nomansland at 1pm, while a fire engine from Chulmle

FIREFIGHTERS from Chulmleigh and Witheridge dealt with two chimney fires within the space of two hours yesterday afternoon (Sunday).

A crew from Witheridge used ladders and chimney gear to tackle a blaze Nomansland at 1pm, while a fire engine from Chulmleigh dealt with a similar fire at Butts Close in nearby Chawleigh at 2.40pm.

As residents continue to battle to warm their homes against the cold, Devon and Somerset Fire and Rescue Service say fire risk is always greater when temperatures plummet and is asking people relying on extra heating sources to be extra vigilant.

The advice is:

* Do not leave open fires unattended

* Turn portable fires off when leaving the room

Most Read

* Do not place combustible materials next to a heat source

* Have smoke alarms fitted and make sure they are working

Become a Supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Become a Supporter