Children go to school in the woods
Council scheme offers opportunity to learn about nature
CHILDREN in North Devon are being given the opportunity to find out about nature at the community woodland in Yeo Valley, Barnstaple.
From Monday, July 25, a series of four Forest Schools will start, for children aged between five and 12 years old.
Executive Member for Culture, Councillor Derrick Spear, said: “These great events should capture the imagination of any child with an interest in nature.
“The woodland is a lovely place to be this time of year and I’m sure that the children who take part will have great fun and learn a thing or two at the same time!”
You may also want to watch:
The forest schools run on Mondays from 10am to 12 noon and cost �2 to attend: Each one will focus on a different topic:
Monday, July 25 - Bug hunting. Tree beating to find insects in the native trees and to discover which trees are home to the most insects. Suitable for children aged between five and eight years (accompanied by an adult).
- 1 Northam Murder: 'Merciless' carer gets life for killing client who caught him stealing
- 2 Barnstaple Fair set to return for 2021 - 'May the show go on!'
- 3 Northam Murder: Carer guilty of brutal murder of frail widow
- 4 Man dies after 'single vehicle collision' on the A386
- 5 Man dies after crash involving two lorries and a motorbike near Torrington
- 6 Woman reportedly assaulted at Bideford park - Police seek witnesses
- 7 Evidence of damage found at Iron Age monument near Ilfracombe
- 8 Appledore RNLI's Matt Rowe passes out as lifeboat mechanic
- 9 Six people injured in serious crash on A39 near Barnstaple - Police appeal
- 10 Plan for 173 homes on Torrington Creamery site approved despite no affordable homes
Monday, August 1 - Plant survey. Explore the woodland to identify the native grass and flower species visible in the summer. Suitable for children aged between five and eight years (accompanied by an adult).
Monday, August 8 - Owl pellets.Investigate which small animals have been preyed upon by the local owl population. Not for the faint hearted as you’ll be helping to identify the bones using regurgitated owl pellets! Suitable for nine to 12-year-olds.
Monday, August 15 - Den building. Build a den in the woods using wood and natural materials. Suitable for nine to 12-year-olds.
View or download the North Devon Council’s Supersport+ brochure for more information at www.northdevon.gov.uk/supersport, and call the Supersport+ booking line on 01271 388871 to book.