Child snatching rumours ‘unfounded’
Police confirm there is ‘no evidence at all’ to suggest children are being snatched from a Barnstaple estate.
POLICE have been quick to quash rumours about alleged ‘child snatching’ incidents in the Forches area of Barnstaple.
Chief inspector Toby Davies said allegations spreading on social networking sites Facebook and Twitter were ‘unfounded.’
Speaking to the Gazette on Monday morning, he said: “An incident occurred last week where two females allegedly asked for directions from a couple of kids and gave them some money.
“They were later dispersed from the area because of their drunken state.
You may also want to watch:
“People are putting two-and-two together; it is completely exaggerated and unfounded.
“There is no evidence at all to intimate any child abductions.”
- 1 'Controversial' plan to close mental health centres in North Devon
- 2 North Devon's largest private employer needs workers to expand
- 3 820 homes approved for Landkey despite council concern
- 4 Holidaymaker jailed for attacking partner in Ilfracombe
- 5 New Archdeacon of Barnstaple begins her role at special service in Bideford
- 6 North Devon optometrist highlights 'ticking timebomb' vision crisis
- 7 Northam man who searched for child pornography sent on treatment course
- 8 Man seriously injured at Appledore Quay - Witness Appeal
- 9 Tributes paid to North Devon librarian Ian Tansley
- 10 Sale of Bideford's Brunswick Wharf completed