Chauffeurs ride to rescue of North Devon drink drivers
TWO young North Devon mums have this week launched a new solution to the problem of drinking and driving. Jane Steeley and Dawn Phillips have brought to North Devon an idea that is already working successfully in cities in Japan and Australia and also in
TWO young North Devon mums have this week launched a new solution to the problem of drinking and driving.
Jane Steeley and Dawn Phillips have brought to North Devon an idea that is already working successfully in cities in Japan and Australia and also in London and even Guernsey.
One For The Road,, which they launched in Braunton on Monday, provides mobile chauffeurs to get people and their cars home safely when they have had a few drinks and is being operated in a 1five-mile radius of Barnstaple.
Key to their business are small, collapsible motorcycles. These are used by the chauffers to arrive at venues at a pre-booked time, with a text alert to let clients know they have arrived.
You may also want to watch:
The little bike is then collapsed and packaged into sealed, flame-retardant, bags and stowed away in the boot or back seat of the client's car. The chauffeur then drives the customer and their car safely home. On arrival, he removes the bags from the car, re-assembles the motorcycle and goes on to the next job.
"We have brought this fun, economical, idea to North Devon to tackle the problems of lack of public transport and drink driving in rural areas," said Jane.
- 1 Tributes paid to 'legendary' North Devon vet Brian Crawford
- 2 Pictures: North Devon's winter wonderland
- 3 Judge jails 'worst' drink driver he has ever seen
- 4 Busy first day for new Covid-19 vaccination centre at Westward Ho!
- 5 Two arrested as teenager fights for life after Ilfracombe stabbing
- 6 Some North Devon GP surgeries to provide Covid vaccine clinics
- 7 Covid vaccine: Roll out continues but is North Devon being left out?
- 8 Masked burglars make Bideford garage cigarette smash and grab
- 9 Plans to merge North Devon and Exeter health trusts move forward
- 10 Northam murder suspect remanded in custody
"We all love to go out in the comfort of our own vehicle and in North Devon it is often the only practical option.
" You can call One For The Road and book one of our professional chauffeurs to come and pick you up and drive you and your vehicle home.
"Whether you are going out to dinner in the evening, having a business lunch or going to a wedding, One for the Road provides the personal drink-drive solution."
Although costing roughly the same as a taxi, One For The Road is kinder on the pocket by only having to pay for a one-way trip. And it eliminates the danger of morning after drink-driving, when people go back to collect their cars wherever they left them the night before, Jane said.
More information on www.theonefortheroad.co.uk