Charity shops in Barnstaple and Bideford need volunteers
CHILDREN S charity Barnardo s has launched an urgent appeal for volunteers to support its fund-raising shops in North Devon. Several team members have moved away or reduced the number of hours they are able to commit to the High Street stores in Bidefor
CHILDREN'S charity Barnardo's has launched an urgent appeal for volunteers to support its fund-raising shops in North Devon.
Several team members have moved away or reduced the number of hours they are able to commit to the High Street stores in Bideford and Barnstaple.
Therefore Barnardo's is looking for people of all ages and backgrounds who might be able to help with sorting and preparing the stock, arranging windows displays and pricing, and operating the till.
In particular, the charity hopes to attract people who are between jobs but still keen to maintain their skills and experience. They would help to raise much-needed funds to support the charity's work with disadvantaged and vulnerable children across the UK.
You may also want to watch:
Bideford shop manager Alex Smart said: "We are aware that there are people with strong retail experience who are perhaps between jobs at the moment but keen to keep their skills sharp until the jobs market picks up.
"We are keen to attract those people as well as our more traditional volunteers such as students and those who are retired.
- 1 Schizophrenic mugger sent to mental unit after Barnstaple robbery
- 2 Yelland power station development set for approval despite 700 objections
- 3 Crooked party leader with ties to Bideford was a serial conman
- 4 The boy in the tent Max Woosey receives prestigious award
- 5 Old Tannery in South Molton to be turned into new homes
- 6 Search for missing Ilfracombe woman Hannah Peacock continues
- 7 Mercy for man who took part in Bideford Quay affray
- 8 'Once-in-a-generation' Bideford development given 'full support'
- 9 Hotel restriction in Westward Ho! will not be lifted
- 10 Drug driver banned after crashing during chase through North Devon
"In the current economic climate it's easy to become despondent about finding a job in retail, particularly for school leavers.
"However, volunteering is a great way of developing experience. They can be sure of a warm welcome and the opportunity to join a fun and friendly team."
Call the Bideford shop on (01237) 475121 or email email@example.com, or call the Barnstaple shop on (01271) 346102 or email firstname.lastname@example.org
The Barnardo's shops are open from Monday to Saturday from 9am-5pm and always welcome donations of good quality clothes, books and other items.
Last year Barnardo's South West supported more than 14,500 children and young people challenged by poverty, abuse, disability and discrimination. Visit www.barnardos.org.uk