Charity shops in Barnstaple and Bideford need volunteers
CHILDREN S charity Barnardo s has launched an urgent appeal for volunteers to support its fund-raising shops in North Devon. Several team members have moved away or reduced the number of hours they are able to commit to the High Street stores in Bidefor
CHILDREN'S charity Barnardo's has launched an urgent appeal for volunteers to support its fund-raising shops in North Devon.
Several team members have moved away or reduced the number of hours they are able to commit to the High Street stores in Bideford and Barnstaple.
Therefore Barnardo's is looking for people of all ages and backgrounds who might be able to help with sorting and preparing the stock, arranging windows displays and pricing, and operating the till.
In particular, the charity hopes to attract people who are between jobs but still keen to maintain their skills and experience. They would help to raise much-needed funds to support the charity's work with disadvantaged and vulnerable children across the UK.
You may also want to watch:
Bideford shop manager Alex Smart said: "We are aware that there are people with strong retail experience who are perhaps between jobs at the moment but keen to keep their skills sharp until the jobs market picks up.
"We are keen to attract those people as well as our more traditional volunteers such as students and those who are retired.
- 1 Some North Devon GP surgeries to provide Covid vaccine clinics
- 2 Covid vaccine: Roll out continues but is North Devon being left out?
- 3 Exmoor Ramble legacy for legendary fundraiser as he battles terminal cancer
- 4 Weather warning of snow and ice for Devon this weekend
- 5 Plans to merge North Devon and Exeter health trusts move forward
- 6 Barnstaple man’s 5k-a-day challenge for children’s hospice
- 7 Farmer gets suspended sentence for tractor crash
- 8 Devon's Tiki surf brand is up for sale
- 9 Barnstaple man attacked his wife and neighbour after Christmas drink
- 10 Three more Covid deaths at North Devon District Hospital but cases are falling
"In the current economic climate it's easy to become despondent about finding a job in retail, particularly for school leavers.
"However, volunteering is a great way of developing experience. They can be sure of a warm welcome and the opportunity to join a fun and friendly team."
Call the Bideford shop on (01237) 475121 or email firstname.lastname@example.org, or call the Barnstaple shop on (01271) 346102 or email email@example.com
The Barnardo's shops are open from Monday to Saturday from 9am-5pm and always welcome donations of good quality clothes, books and other items.
Last year Barnardo's South West supported more than 14,500 children and young people challenged by poverty, abuse, disability and discrimination. Visit www.barnardos.org.uk