Charity cyclists due to reach Land's End
TEN is the magic number for a group of Barnstaple cyclists hoping to complete an epic charity ride today (Wednesday). Ten local riders are set to arrive at Land s End after cycling a pedal-punishing 1,050 miles across the entire length of the UK mainland
TEN is the magic number for a group of Barnstaple cyclists hoping to complete an epic charity ride today (Wednesday).
Ten local riders are set to arrive at Land's End after cycling a pedal-punishing 1,050 miles across the entire length of the UK mainland from John O' Groats.
Andy Unstead, Ian Dowling, Tony Vesty, Andy Brock, Colin Dart, Mark Henderson, Adam Jewels, Jon Gay, Pete Nancekivell and Andi Timothy set off on August 16 and have been riding an average of 105 miles per day at speeds of around 23mph during their "End 2 End in 10" fund-raising challenge.
The group hopes to raise �30,000, spilt between three charities, North Devon Hospice, Children's Hospice South West and Families For Children.
You may also want to watch:
"We are all seasoned cyclists but none of us have done anything quite like this before," said team member Mark Henderson.
As the group passed through Devon yesterday, around 50 local cyclists were due to join them in a fun ride along the Tarka Trail to the Children's Hospice South West in Fremington. The team will being joined on the last 50-mile stretch to Land's End by a host of cyclists from North Devon and Cornwall, where a big reception was planned at the finish.
- 1 Devon's Tiki surf brand is up for sale
- 2 I'm Still Standing: Ambulance worker's battle against the darkness
- 3 'Bonkers' idea led to the creation of Children's Hospice South West
- 4 Northam murder suspect remanded in custody
- 5 Barnstaple's The ilab launches iPad appeal to help lockdown home schoolers
- 6 Tributes to Ilfracombe's 30-year school governor
- 7 Barnstaple man cleared of drug dealing charges
- 8 Three more Covid deaths at North Devon District Hospital but cases are falling
- 9 Man charged with murder of Northam pensioner
- 10 Council and police step up Covid enforcement in North Devon
A special "Welcome Home" party is being held at the Barnstaple Hotel tomorrow.
To sponsor the riders or for more information about their challenge, visit the website www.end2endin10.com