Charity cyclists due to reach Land's End
TEN is the magic number for a group of Barnstaple cyclists hoping to complete an epic charity ride today (Wednesday). Ten local riders are set to arrive at Land s End after cycling a pedal-punishing 1,050 miles across the entire length of the UK mainland
TEN is the magic number for a group of Barnstaple cyclists hoping to complete an epic charity ride today (Wednesday).
Ten local riders are set to arrive at Land's End after cycling a pedal-punishing 1,050 miles across the entire length of the UK mainland from John O' Groats.
Andy Unstead, Ian Dowling, Tony Vesty, Andy Brock, Colin Dart, Mark Henderson, Adam Jewels, Jon Gay, Pete Nancekivell and Andi Timothy set off on August 16 and have been riding an average of 105 miles per day at speeds of around 23mph during their "End 2 End in 10" fund-raising challenge.
The group hopes to raise �30,000, spilt between three charities, North Devon Hospice, Children's Hospice South West and Families For Children.
You may also want to watch:
"We are all seasoned cyclists but none of us have done anything quite like this before," said team member Mark Henderson.
As the group passed through Devon yesterday, around 50 local cyclists were due to join them in a fun ride along the Tarka Trail to the Children's Hospice South West in Fremington. The team will being joined on the last 50-mile stretch to Land's End by a host of cyclists from North Devon and Cornwall, where a big reception was planned at the finish.
- 1 Plan for 173 homes on Torrington Creamery site approved despite no affordable homes
- 2 Crash and assault in Ilfracombe - Police appeal
- 3 Northam Murder: Carer denies killing widow Carol Hart
- 4 Jewellery and cash stolen in Barnstaple burglary
- 5 PICTURES: Prince of Wales and Duchess of Cornwall visit The Burton at Bideford
- 6 Rosemoor transforms into Wonderland for the summer holidays
- 7 Changes to reporting planning breaches in North Devon
- 8 Busy thirteen days for Appledore RNLI
- 9 Northam Murder: Accused carer told police he 'loved her to bits'
- 10 New ‘inside-out’ art gallery coming to Ilfracombe
A special "Welcome Home" party is being held at the Barnstaple Hotel tomorrow.
To sponsor the riders or for more information about their challenge, visit the website www.end2endin10.com