Charity cycle ride heads north
ORGANISERS of the Devon Coast to Coast Challenge cycle ride have unveiled the route for this year s event. In a change to previous routes, cyclists will traverse the county from south to north, setting off from Plymouth Yacht Club, and finishing at Buddy
ORGANISERS of the Devon Coast to Coast Challenge cycle ride have unveiled the route for this year's event.
In a change to previous routes, cyclists will traverse the county from south to north, setting off from Plymouth Yacht Club, and finishing at Buddy's Bar, on The Strand in Barnstaple.
"It has taken us years to be able to get to the stage of riding south to north, and is our biggest logistical challenge yet," said co-organiser Simon Paddon. "We feel that this route offers something for all riders."
The annual North Devon Hospice fund-raiser, which started in 1999 with just four riders, has steadily grown over the years. More than 200 cyclists took part in the 2009 event, raising a massive �26,435.65 for the hospice.
You may also want to watch:
At Sunday night's launch party at Buddy's Bar, Simon and fellow organisers presented a cheque to hospice community fundraiser, Emma Lowe.
"The organising committee and the hospice would like to extend their sincere thanks to the 211 riders who took part in 2009 and the event's sponsors for breaking through the �25,000 barrier in the hospice's 25th anniversary year, an incredible achievement," said Emma.
- 1 Two vehicle crash near South Molton – Link Road blocked
- 2 Aldi plans for three new stores in North Devon
- 3 'Smash and grab' robbery at Ilfracombe jewellers shop
- 4 Swimbridge Christmas Arts and Crafts Fair returns for 2021
- 5 Barnstaple Enterprise Hub 'Node' launches to support local businesses
- 6 MISSING: Police search for Peter Hughes from Combe Martin area
- 7 Cook book to help in Afghanistan produced in South Molton
- 8 Developer sponsors Shammy FC youth teams
- 9 Firework display set to return to Barnstaple Rugby Club for 2021
- 10 'Kinky Boots' coming to Barnstaple's Queen's Theatre
This year's event, taking place on Sunday, June 13, will also be raising money for North Devon Hospice in 2010 and full details of the routes and how to enter are available from the event website, www.coast-coast.co.uk