Changes to council tax payment methods
- Credit: Archant
Torridge and North Devon Council have introduced the changes to help make payment easier for residents.
NORTH Devon and Torridge District Council are giving residents the chance to pay their council tax in 12 monthly instalments from April 1.
Currently residents can make 10 monthly payments and it’s hoped the change will make paying council tax easier.
Both council currently accept monthly payments on the 1st and 15th of the month, but Torridge is also offering three additional payment dates on the 7th, 21st or 28th of each month.
Roger Johnson, deputy leader of Torridge District Council, said: “With the changes being forced upon us from April where everyone of working age will have to pay a minimum of 25 per cent of their council tax, I hope the measures being introduced will help ease the council tax burden for those households affected.
You may also want to watch:
“But anyone can take advantage of these 12 monthly payments now and you can change the date you pay to suit your own personal budget; just let us know.”
Further changes to council tax are also being introduced at Torridge.
- 1 North Devon Healthcare Trust department awarded Academic status
- 2 Barnstaple Fair set to return for 2021 - 'May the show go on!'
- 3 Northam Murder: 'Merciless' carer gets life for killing client who caught him stealing
- 4 Man dies after crash involving two lorries and a motorbike near Torrington
- 5 Council bids for Levelling Up funding for Ilfracombe
- 6 Man dies after 'single vehicle collision' on the A386
- 7 MP opens new Northam Burrows Visitor Centre at Westward Ho!
- 8 Woman reportedly assaulted at Bideford park - Police seek witnesses
- 9 Northam Murder: Carer guilty of brutal murder of frail widow
- 10 Plan for 173 homes on Torrington Creamery site approved despite no affordable homes
The council’s community and resources committee has approved proposals of 100 per cent discounts for the first 12 months for empty and unfurnished properties undergoing structural or major repairs.
Empty and unfurnished properties will receive a 100 per cent discount for the first three months and none thereafter, and second homes will have no discount awarded.
On long term empty properties which have been empty and unoccupied for more than two years, the maximum empty homes premium of 150 per cent will be applied.
To change the way you pay your council tax, please contact Torridge’s council tax team on 01237 428900 or email firstname.lastname@example.org. For North Devon call 01271 388361 or email email@example.com.