Chance to learn countryside skills in North Devon
THE National Trust is holding two rural skills workshops which offer an opportunity to learn the traditional arts of hedge laying and dry stone walling. Each two-day workshop is extremely practical and hands-on, giving the greatest opportunity to learn
THE National Trust is holding two rural skills workshops which offer an opportunity to learn the traditional arts of hedge laying and dry stone walling.
Each two-day workshop is extremely practical and hands-on, giving the greatest opportunity to learn the basic techniques and perfect them over the duration of the workshops.
The Walling Workshop, on October 25 and 26 at Woolacombe, will be led by wardens Rob Linskill and Jemma Lowin and will give people a chance to enjoy the fantastic setting of Woolacombe.
Warden Rob said, 'There are walls in this area which are over 200 years old, which we look after and maintain. Running these workshops allows us to help other people to learn these skills and take them back to their homes and gardens, keeping these important rural skills alive.
You may also want to watch:
" Everyone will get dusty and dirty, and will be tired at the end, but it's a great way to meet new people and enjoy learning new skills - come and join in!' The workshop costs just �30 for the two days.
The Hedge Laying Workshop on October 28 and 29 is taking place on the Hartland Peninsula and costs �20 for the two days. With an introduction on the theory of laying in the 'Devon Style' people will quickly get a chance to put the theory into practice and test out their new skills.
- 1 Tributes paid to 'legendary' North Devon vet Brian Crawford
- 2 Busy first day for new Covid-19 vaccination centre at Westward Ho!
- 3 Pictures: North Devon's winter wonderland
- 4 Chivenor marines among UK troops hit by Norway Covid outbreak
- 5 Judge jails 'worst' drink driver he has ever seen
- 6 Work begins on Northam Burrows Visitor Centre refurbishment
- 7 Two arrested as teenager fights for life after Ilfracombe stabbing
- 8 Covid vaccine: Roll out continues but is North Devon being left out?
- 9 Football league teams up with Northern Devon Foodbank
- 10 Masked burglars make Bideford garage cigarette smash and grab
Places on both workshops are limited so book early to avoid disappointment. All proceeds raised from the workshops help to contribute to the work of the National Trust wardens in the North Devon Countryside. To book your place for the walling workshop (Woolacombe), call (01271 ) 870555. To book your place on the hedge laying workshop (Hartland), please call (01237) 441976.