Century of regattas recalled at Bideford exhibition
TIME and tide wait for no man, but Bideford s rowers have turned the clock back with their exhibition at the Burton Art Gallery, which opened on Saturday. More than 100 years of regattas and rowing in the town and glimpses of the carnivals which have acc
TIME and tide wait for no man, but Bideford's rowers have turned the clock back with their exhibition at the Burton Art Gallery, which opened on Saturday.
More than 100 years of regattas and rowing in the town and glimpses of the carnivals which have accompanied them are captured in pictures and memorabilia drawn together by local friendly rivals Bideford Amateur Rowing Club and Bideford Amateur Athletic Club, with the help of local people.
Scenes of yesterday show just what a prominent role the regattas played in the life of the town, with huge crowds lining the banks of the river to watch the spectacle.
There are prestigious trophies on display and pictures of famous victories, highlighted by the Bideford Reds crew who won the National Senior Fours Championship in 1955, and scenes of memorable moments for a host of other local crews and local athletes in the Blues' Harriers section.
You may also want to watch:
Less familiar scenes include those of the once-popular horse racing on the sands at low tide.
The fate of one poor Herman Richards in 1860 highlights just how important the annual event was viewed. He was prosecuted for causing a bow wave with his vessel, which interfered with a boat, and fined 45 shillings and made to have a public apology published in the local paper!
- 1 Tributes paid to 'legendary' North Devon vet Brian Crawford
- 2 Two arrested as teenager fights for life after Ilfracombe stabbing
- 3 Pictures: North Devon's winter wonderland
- 4 Judge jails 'worst' drink driver he has ever seen
- 5 Some North Devon GP surgeries to provide Covid vaccine clinics
- 6 Busy first day for new Covid-19 vaccination centre at Westward Ho!
- 7 Covid vaccine: Roll out continues but is North Devon being left out?
- 8 Masked burglars make Bideford garage cigarette smash and grab
- 9 Farmer gets suspended sentence for tractor crash
- 10 Exmoor Ramble legacy for legendary fundraiser as he battles terminal cancer
Burton curator Warren Cullum said this was a social history exhibition, showing the rich history of the rowing clubs and their important part in the Bideford community."
The rowing and regatta exhibition runs until September 29.