Centre will support troops and their families
North Devon MP opens new welfare and families centre
ARMED Forces Minister and North Devon MP Nick Harvey has opened a new welfare and families centre at the Royal Marine Barracks, Chivenor.
The new and improved centre will provide support to around 1,300 Chivenor-based Royal Navy, Royal Marine and Army personnel and their families at a time when many are carrying out operational duties in Helmand Province, Afghanistan.
The former corporals’ club has been completely refurbished with offices, quiet rooms and a range of resources such as computer access and deployment information.
It can offer comfortable, comprehensive and confidential advice on a range of welfare issues from relationship problems to child care concerns and dealing with bereavement.
You may also want to watch:
The department is currently run by two military welfare officers and five local civilians, whose roles include social worker, family support worker and community support worker.
Opening the new centre, Mr Harvey said: “This excellent new facility will provide welfare support to families at a time when they need it most.”
- 1 MISSING: Police search for Peter Hughes from Combe Martin area
- 2 Aldi plans for three new stores in North Devon
- 3 'Kinky Boots' coming to Barnstaple's Queen's Theatre
- 4 North Devon charity organises Routes of Remembrance
- 5 Developer sponsors Shammy FC youth teams
- 6 'Neglected' North Devon taxi firm challenged by councillors
- 7 North Devon Healthcare trust scores high in patient survey
- 8 Firework display set to return to Barnstaple Rugby Club for 2021
- 9 Devon health boss 'concerned' at low Covid booster uptake
- 10 £2.1m upgrade will provide space for 38 new North Devon jobs