Celebrity chef gives Barnstaple student a full-time job
A North Devon College student has been given a job by celebrity chef Michael Caines after impressing the Michelin starred restaurateur during a stint of work experience. Max Bowen spent a month at the Gidleigh Park Hotel in South Devon and is now working
A North Devon College student has been given a job by celebrity chef Michael Caines after impressing the Michelin starred restaurateur during a stint of work experience.
Max Bowen spent a month at the Gidleigh Park Hotel in South Devon and is now working there after being offered a full time position.
Fellow hospitality and catering students from the college joined prestigious chefs across the UK and Europe, with nine choosing to work in Europe, at Gothenburg in Sweden, Szeged in Hungary or Prague in the Czech Republic, funded by the Leonardo Mobility Life Long Learning Programme.
Others went to Michelin-starred restaurants in the UK, including Heston Blumenthal's Fat Duck in Berkshire and Marcus Wareing's The Berkley in London's Knightsbridge.
You may also want to watch:
"It was amazing to work alongside Michael Caines and it made me focus so much more as you have to have an excellent attention to detail," said Max
The college has been involved in the Leonardo Mobility programme for 10 years. The project aims to give students practical experiences abroad where they learn about different cultures and different styles of cooking.
- 1 2021 North Devon Show cancelled
- 2 Man wielding knife arrested in Barnstaple park
- 3 Braunton farmer admits ploughing up 'semi natural' land
- 4 North Devon high streets get set to welcome residents back
- 5 Prince Philip's last North Devon visit remembered
- 6 Property of the Week: Ford Rise, Bideford
- 7 Rapid coronavirus tests now available across Devon
- 8 Flags fly at half mast across North Devon for Prince Philip
- 9 Date set for reopening of Bideford Pannier Market
- 10 Lord-Lieutenant of Devon pays tribute to Prince Philip
Karl Partridge, who worked at The Berkley, added: "It was a lot harder than I thought but I really enjoyed it.
"It gave me an insight into the real world and was really worthwhile. I learnt new techniques and it was great to work alongside such good chefs."
Anyone who would like to find out more about the NVQ Hospitality and Catering qualifications offered by North Devon College can contact the Guidance Centre on (01271) 338125.