Celebrating bridge’s anniversary
The anniversary of a major bridge and bypass is being celebrated this year.
A TAPESTRY created by the schoolchildren of 1987 will be back on display to mark the 25th anniversary of the Torridge Bridge.
The tapestry depicts local scenes from the bridge’s construction and although it was hung in the foyer of the Burton Art Gallery for many years it has not recently been on public display.
But the nostalgic artwork created by the children of Appledore School will now be on display for all to see again in Bideford Library.
Councillor Roger Croad, Devon County Council Cabinet Member with responsibility for the Library Service, said: “Torridge Bridge and Bideford Bypass are an important part of our local history, and I am pleased that the library has been able to celebrate their anniversary with another important piece of history - the tapestry.
You may also want to watch:
“I hope lots of residents will pop along to the library to see it, and share their memories if they helped create it.”
- 1 Man dies after crash involving two lorries and a motorbike near Torrington
- 2 South Molton pub attacker must pay compensation after kicking customer in head
- 3 Northam murder suspect accused of telling a 'litany of lies' about killing
- 4 £60,000 street marshal investment to make North Devon safer
- 5 Plan for 173 homes on Torrington Creamery site approved despite no affordable homes
- 6 Evidence of damage found at Iron Age monument near Ilfracombe
- 7 Crash and assault in Ilfracombe - Police appeal
- 8 Northam Murder: Carer denies killing widow Carol Hart
- 9 Changes to reporting planning breaches in North Devon
- 10 Bideford man dies after Link Road crash near South Molton