Celebrating bridge’s anniversary
The anniversary of a major bridge and bypass is being celebrated this year.
A TAPESTRY created by the schoolchildren of 1987 will be back on display to mark the 25th anniversary of the Torridge Bridge.
The tapestry depicts local scenes from the bridge’s construction and although it was hung in the foyer of the Burton Art Gallery for many years it has not recently been on public display.
But the nostalgic artwork created by the children of Appledore School will now be on display for all to see again in Bideford Library.
Councillor Roger Croad, Devon County Council Cabinet Member with responsibility for the Library Service, said: “Torridge Bridge and Bideford Bypass are an important part of our local history, and I am pleased that the library has been able to celebrate their anniversary with another important piece of history - the tapestry.
You may also want to watch:
“I hope lots of residents will pop along to the library to see it, and share their memories if they helped create it.”
- 1 £2.1m upgrade will provide space for 38 new North Devon jobs
- 2 Drink spiking crackdown after needle attack - Devon Police
- 3 Bideford's First Food and Drink Festival coming soon
- 4 Real ice rink coming to Barnstaple Christmas Village
- 5 Torrington woman rebuilds her life after devastating stroke
- 6 'Neglected' North Devon taxi firm challenged by councillors
- 7 Appeal goes out to patients as Devon's health service buckle under pressure
- 8 Cyclist left with ‘serious head injuries’ after incident in Bideford
- 9 Vandalism at Bideford's Brunswick Wharf development condemned
- 10 Legg Power in ChemoHero fundraising