Celebrating bridge’s anniversary
The anniversary of a major bridge and bypass is being celebrated this year.
A TAPESTRY created by the schoolchildren of 1987 will be back on display to mark the 25th anniversary of the Torridge Bridge.
The tapestry depicts local scenes from the bridge’s construction and although it was hung in the foyer of the Burton Art Gallery for many years it has not recently been on public display.
But the nostalgic artwork created by the children of Appledore School will now be on display for all to see again in Bideford Library.
Councillor Roger Croad, Devon County Council Cabinet Member with responsibility for the Library Service, said: “Torridge Bridge and Bideford Bypass are an important part of our local history, and I am pleased that the library has been able to celebrate their anniversary with another important piece of history - the tapestry.
You may also want to watch:
“I hope lots of residents will pop along to the library to see it, and share their memories if they helped create it.”
- 1 County Council Elections: Candidates for North Devon
- 2 County Council Elections: Candidates for Torridge
- 3 Devon County Council Elections: Candidate lists for North Devon and Torridge
- 4 Candidates for police and crime commissioner have their say
- 5 Police appeal after Barnstaple brawl
- 6 New Barnstaple restaurant offers Fine Dining at Home
- 7 Big opening-day wins for Bideford and Braunton
- 8 Dog Restrictions come into force on Westward Ho! Beach
- 9 Ilfracombe Drive-In Cinema returns this May
- 10 Pensioner gets suspended sentence for 'unspeakable abuse images'