Cathedral fundraising concert for Haiti
CHRISTIAN Aid is organising an Haiti earthquake fundraiser in Exeter Cathedral. Next Friday night (Jan 22) Nightchurch aims to get as many performers as possible to put on a free scratch concert to raise money for the Haiti emergency appeal. Christian Ai
CHRISTIAN Aid is organising an Haiti earthquake fundraiser in Exeter Cathedral.
Next Friday night (Jan 22) Nightchurch aims to get as many performers as possible to put on a free scratch concert to raise money for the Haiti emergency appeal.
Christian Aid Regional Co-ordinator Laura McAdam said that in the area in which the Christian Aid offices in Haiti once stood 97% of the buildings have been completely destroyed. The need for water, food and body bags for the many corpses littering the streets is very urgent indeed.
She said: "Our Christian Aid staff on the ground tell us that the survivors sit in the dust and rubble wondering where help might come from and how much more suffering they can take. The population had barely begun to recover from the hurricanes that took so many lives and livelihoods and now this.
"We are calling all the churches, community groups, schools, businesses and individuals across Exeter and Devon to join us in putting words into action and to give as generously as we can to help those left with nothing. We have the capacity to create a wave of compassion across the region. We have done it before, we can do it again.
- 1 North Devon holiday home tax dodgers face crackdown
- 2 Urgent appeal goes out to help keep teenagers off the streets
- 3 War hero, SWW champion and author Tony dies at 97
- 4 Popular character Joan dies at 92
- 5 Exercise the 'chuckle muscle' with comedian Jason Manford
- 6 Tennis ace Eric follows in Max's fund-raising footsteps
- 7 Chance at last to sing along with the Winkleigh Singers
- 8 How can we celebrate Queen's Platinum?
- 9 Rishi's thumbs up to £60m investment and 200 new jobs
- 10 MP Selaine Saxby: Violence against women and girls