Cathedral fundraising concert for Haiti
CHRISTIAN Aid is organising an Haiti earthquake fundraiser in Exeter Cathedral. Next Friday night (Jan 22) Nightchurch aims to get as many performers as possible to put on a free scratch concert to raise money for the Haiti emergency appeal. Christian Ai
CHRISTIAN Aid is organising an Haiti earthquake fundraiser in Exeter Cathedral.
Next Friday night (Jan 22) Nightchurch aims to get as many performers as possible to put on a free scratch concert to raise money for the Haiti emergency appeal.
Christian Aid Regional Co-ordinator Laura McAdam said that in the area in which the Christian Aid offices in Haiti once stood 97% of the buildings have been completely destroyed. The need for water, food and body bags for the many corpses littering the streets is very urgent indeed.
She said: "Our Christian Aid staff on the ground tell us that the survivors sit in the dust and rubble wondering where help might come from and how much more suffering they can take. The population had barely begun to recover from the hurricanes that took so many lives and livelihoods and now this.
You may also want to watch:
"We are calling all the churches, community groups, schools, businesses and individuals across Exeter and Devon to join us in putting words into action and to give as generously as we can to help those left with nothing. We have the capacity to create a wave of compassion across the region. We have done it before, we can do it again.
- 1 Northam Murder: Carer guilty of brutal murder of frail widow
- 2 Woman reportedly assaulted at Bideford park - Police seek witnesses
- 3 Man dies after 'single vehicle collision' on the A386
- 4 Man dies after crash involving two lorries and a motorbike near Torrington
- 5 Northam Murder: Judge tells jury to put aside emotion
- 6 Evidence of damage found at Iron Age monument near Ilfracombe
- 7 £60,000 street marshal investment to make North Devon safer
- 8 Lockdown breaker caught dealing cannabis in Barnstaple
- 9 Plan for 173 homes on Torrington Creamery site approved despite no affordable homes
- 10 Barnstaple Fair set to return for 2021 - 'May the show go on!'