Catering couple put on charity Christmas Day lunch
A charity festive dinner with all the trimmings is on the menu at Croyde Village Hall this Christmas Day to raise money for North Devon Hospice.
Local caterers Graham and Mandy Oakes are hoping as many people as possible will join them for the sumptuous five course meal, which will include festive music, fun games and even a visit from Father Christmas.
The Georgeham couple will be helped by their family and friends on the day and hope to raise at least �1,000 for the hospice, as well as a donation to hall funds after Croyde and Georgeham Parish Council offered the venue for free.
Mandy and Graham would also love to hear from any local companies or organisations willing to sponsor the event, either through donations or by supplying food, drink or festive essentials such as crackers and decorations.
Doors open at 1pm for pre-lunch drinks and lunch will be served at 2. The cost is �35 for adults, �25 for 11-16-year-olds and �15 for under 11s. Wine or juice is included.
You may also want to watch:
The couple wanted to help make a difference after both losing parents in the last year, following the death of Graham’s mother and Mandy’s father.
“None of us were really looking forward to Christmas this year and we were wondering what to do,” said Mandy, who is the catering manager at Kingsacre School in Braunton.
- 1 North Devon's largest private employer needs workers to expand
- 2 'Controversial' plan to close mental health centres in North Devon
- 3 820 homes approved for Landkey despite council concern
- 4 Holidaymaker jailed for attacking partner in Ilfracombe
- 5 New Archdeacon of Barnstaple begins her role at special service in Bideford
- 6 North Devon optometrist highlights 'ticking timebomb' vision crisis
- 7 'Monster' jailed after abuse victim tells judge of his torment
- 8 Great Big Green Week backed by North Devon Council
- 9 Sale of Bideford's Brunswick Wharf completed
- 10 Man left with 'life changing' injuries after assault in Barnstaple
Graham is a mobile catering manager for Devon County Council and also a well known chef in North Devon, having worked in a number of local pubs during the past 15 years.
“There must be lots of people around who don’t want to be on their own on Christmas Day or just want someone else to cook,” he said.
“They may have lost parents or whoever and simply want to lighten the day up a bit in good company.”
They will be helped on the day by their four teenaged children plus two visiting nephews and surviving parents Phil Oakes and Joan Brown
Guests have a choice of traditional roast turnkey, steak in mushroom sauce or vegetable parcels plus a range of seasonal vegetables. A choice of three starters and desserts – including of course Christmas pud in brandy sauce – plus mince pies and tea or coffee completes the meal.
There will also be a raffle with a range of good prizes including meals out at local restaurants.
To book a place, for more information or if you can help sponsor the Croyde Christmas lunch, call Mandy on 07817 728379.