Cash for Bideford ceramics project
THE Friends of the Burton Art Gallery and Museum in Bideford have been awarded �8,360 funding from Awards For All to support its Tales on Tiles project, which will explore and celebrate North Devon s ceramic heritage. Residents of all ages and backgrounds
THE Friends of the Burton Art Gallery and Museum in Bideford have been awarded �8,360 funding from Awards For All to support its Tales on Tiles project, which will explore and celebrate North Devon's ceramic heritage.
Residents of all ages and backgrounds will be involved in the project, which will give them a unique opportunity to work with local artists to create their own ceramic artwork, to be fired in the kiln in Victoria Park just before Christmas.
Each group will create their own series of slipware tiles, which will depict or take inspiration from an aspect of life in Torridge, focusing on the river, estuary or local coastline, and these will be displayed in community halls and spaces and at events throughout next year.
Artists involved with the project include Julie Bosworth, Philip Leach and Rupert Johnstone all of whom are highly experienced ceramic artists.
You may also want to watch:
Also leading groups will be artists Merlynn Chesterman and Tom Hyde. Merlynn is renowned for her prints representing the North Devon coastline and Tom Hyde is an emerging artist who works in sculpture.
Central to this project is an opportunity for the community groups and residents to learn more about the recently-acquired RJ Lloyd Collection, a nationally important collection of slipware, which is to be permanently displayed alongside the Burton's main ceramics collections in 2010.
- 1 North Devon Healthcare Trust department awarded Academic status
- 2 Barnstaple Fair set to return for 2021 - 'May the show go on!'
- 3 Northam Murder: 'Merciless' carer gets life for killing client who caught him stealing
- 4 Man dies after crash involving two lorries and a motorbike near Torrington
- 5 Council bids for Levelling Up funding for Ilfracombe
- 6 Man dies after 'single vehicle collision' on the A386
- 7 MP opens new Northam Burrows Visitor Centre at Westward Ho!
- 8 Woman reportedly assaulted at Bideford park - Police seek witnesses
- 9 Northam Murder: Carer guilty of brutal murder of frail widow
- 10 Evidence of damage found at Iron Age monument near Ilfracombe
The Burton Art Gallery and Museum:
Originally opened in 1951, the Burton Art Gallery and Museum houses three exhibition spaces, a museum, craft gallery, shop, education space, the Tourist Information Office and restaurant. The Burton is a dynamic and vibrant space, showing local, national and international artists. It also houses a permanent collection of works including Hubert Coop RBA, Sir John Lavery, E. Aubrey Hunt and Sir George Clausen RA, as well as information and artefacts illustrating Bideford's famous personalities and past industries including a Slipware Collection and The Ackland and Edwards Collection. The education space offers workshops and courses for all ages often in connection with the exhibition and museum programme, as well as being a space available to hire. The Burton also has an active Friends Association, open to all age group. For further information or images, please contact Miranda Clarke via email: firstname.lastname@example.org