Cash boost for local branch of parenting charity
Grant will help reinstate childbirth classes for new parents
THE North Devon branch of a national parenting charity has landed a large grant to help provide vital ante-natal classes for hundreds of mums and dads-to-be in the area.
The local arm of the National Childbirth Trust (NCT) has been awarded just over �1,500 from the Co-operative Group’s Community Fund to help train a teacher for local ante-natal classes.
At the moment, North Devon doesn’t have its own dedicated NCT ante-natal teacher with parents-to-be having to attend intensive weekend courses provided by a teacher from outside the area.
Currently Sam Hood from Georgeham is in her second year of a three-year training course to become a fully accredited NCT ante-natal teacher. When she graduates, she’ll be able to provide more local classes in more locations across North Devon.
You may also want to watch:
Sam said: “This is a tremendous boost for the local NCT and for future parents in North Devon. We work hard as a branch to raise money to help pay for my training but this massive grant will go a long way to helping me get qualified.”
Every year, dozens of couples attend classes in North Devon, preparing them for childbirth and the early years of parenthood. Classes also provide new mums and dads with an important network of friends who can help and support each other through the new baby experience.
- 1 County Council Elections: Candidates for North Devon
- 2 County Council Elections: Candidates for Torridge
- 3 Devon County Council Elections: Candidate lists for North Devon and Torridge
- 4 Candidates for police and crime commissioner have their say
- 5 Police appeal after Barnstaple brawl
- 6 New Barnstaple restaurant offers Fine Dining at Home
- 7 Dog Restrictions come into force on Westward Ho! Beach
- 8 Big opening-day wins for Bideford and Braunton
- 9 Ilfracombe Drive-In Cinema returns this May
- 10 Pensioner gets suspended sentence for 'unspeakable abuse images'
Chairman of the NCT North Devon Branch Jess Bradley said: “We are thrilled to have been awarded this grant. It will allow us to help more parents than ever before through pregnancy and the challenging early weeks and months of parenthood.
“Thanks to The Co-operative Group for investing in the North Devon community in this way - it will make a huge difference to the lives of local parents.”
For information on NCT ante-natal classes available in North Devon, visit www.nct.org.uk, call 0844 243 6950 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
For more information about events run by the NCT North Devon Branch, including its nearly new sales, email email@example.com or visit its Facebook page ‘Nct North Devon’.