Caroline is top of the mops
- Credit: Archant
North Devon District Hospital cleaner is named Britain’s best.
A NORTH Devon District Hospital worker has been named Britain’s best cleaner.
Spic and span comes as standard for Caroline Wait, who beat thousands of other Sodexo workers to take the title at the company’s annual Centre of Excellence Awards.
Caroline also received the Kathy Ridgard Award in recognition of her tireless devotion to the job of keeping wards spotless.
When heavy snow twice threatened her early morning commute into work, she left home at 2am and walked the five miles from Landkey to be at the Barnstaple hospital in time to start her 5am shift.
You may also want to watch:
Caroline cleans the outpatient wards and corridors and is a monitoring supervisor one day a week to check standards are being maintained.
She also runs a training programme help raise and maintain levels of staff, care, quality and consideration.
- 1 Cyclist left with ‘serious head injuries’ after incident in Bideford
- 2 Volunteers come together to spruce up Barnstaple Train Station
- 3 Real ice rink coming to Barnstaple Christmas Village
- 4 New home grown manager for South Molton Swimming Pool
- 5 New council led leisure company Active Torridge appoints director
- 6 Murder investigation launched in Bideford after woman found dead
- 7 Appeal launched to raise £100,000 for new play equipment in Bideford
- 8 Homeless man jailed after attacking Barnstaple soldier in McDonald's
- 9 7 top tips to help you find the perfect wedding venue
- 10 More than 530 nights in a tent - Max Woosey wins Young Hero Award
Sharron Loosemore, deputy contract manager for Sodexo, which supplies cleaning, catering, portering services at NDDH, said: “You can walk through a department and the floors are always shining and the ledges are bright.
“Caroline always scores 99 per cent on her cleaning audit score. She is always happy in her work and always smiling.
“Her standards are outstanding – she is just the kind of person we need in our hospitals.”
Caroline, who has been a cleaner at NDDH for five years, was presented with her award at a special ceremony held at Ascot Racecourse.
She said: “I was very proud to receive the award and to help put Barnstaple on the map.”
Asked about the cleanliness of her own house, she said: “I do have a very clean house – my husband is a bit of a cleaning freak, we’re both a bit fussy.”