Caroline is top of the mops
- Credit: Archant
North Devon District Hospital cleaner is named Britain’s best.
A NORTH Devon District Hospital worker has been named Britain’s best cleaner.
Spic and span comes as standard for Caroline Wait, who beat thousands of other Sodexo workers to take the title at the company’s annual Centre of Excellence Awards.
Caroline also received the Kathy Ridgard Award in recognition of her tireless devotion to the job of keeping wards spotless.
When heavy snow twice threatened her early morning commute into work, she left home at 2am and walked the five miles from Landkey to be at the Barnstaple hospital in time to start her 5am shift.
You may also want to watch:
Caroline cleans the outpatient wards and corridors and is a monitoring supervisor one day a week to check standards are being maintained.
She also runs a training programme help raise and maintain levels of staff, care, quality and consideration.
- 1 Brother told sister 'you're dead' after birthday party bust-up
- 2 Man with 'fearsome' ornamental knife arrested in Barnstaple
- 3 Ilfracombe dressage star Caitlin Burgess pursues Olympic dream
- 4 PICTURES: New Bideford book merges old pictures with new
- 5 Chaos guaranteed at the first Bideford Soapbox Derby
- 6 Assault and attempted robbery near Tarka Trail
- 7 Man arrested after 'serious assault' outside Barnstaple nightclub
- 8 North Devon grandad takes on 700 mile cycling challenge
- 9 Drink driver banned after Ilfracombe Lidl crash
- 10 Holsworthy conveyancer crowned Young Practitioner of the Year
Sharron Loosemore, deputy contract manager for Sodexo, which supplies cleaning, catering, portering services at NDDH, said: “You can walk through a department and the floors are always shining and the ledges are bright.
“Caroline always scores 99 per cent on her cleaning audit score. She is always happy in her work and always smiling.
“Her standards are outstanding – she is just the kind of person we need in our hospitals.”
Caroline, who has been a cleaner at NDDH for five years, was presented with her award at a special ceremony held at Ascot Racecourse.
She said: “I was very proud to receive the award and to help put Barnstaple on the map.”
Asked about the cleanliness of her own house, she said: “I do have a very clean house – my husband is a bit of a cleaning freak, we’re both a bit fussy.”