Carnival fun kicks off in Combe Martin
- Credit: Archant
The village’s annual Carnival Week is back from Saturday (August 10).
COMBE Martin Carnival Week kicks off this Saturday with the Grand Opening at Hollands Park.
Family fun from 3pm includes stalls, a car boot sale, rides, a bouncy castle, barbecue and of course the infamous Wacky Races, with all ages getting a chance at glory.
The fancy dress junior wheelbarrow race is at 3.45pm, followed by the dumpy bag sack race, space hopper derby and egg tossing.
From 7pm there is live music with the Ellie Campbell Band and Zamba.
You may also want to watch:
Watery mayhem ensues on Sunday with Raft Race Night at the beach, with registration at 6pm and kayak and junior racing before the senior raft race at 8.15pm.
Monday is Fairy Queen Night at Hollands Park from 6pm, as the carnival royalty is chosen, open to children aged four to 15 years, followed by a Glamorous Granny Competition.
- 1 PICTURES: New Bideford book merges old pictures with new
- 2 Man with 'fearsome' ornamental knife arrested in Barnstaple
- 3 Ilfracombe dressage star Caitlin Burgess pursues Olympic dream
- 4 Assault and attempted robbery near Tarka Trail
- 5 Man arrested after 'serious assault' outside Barnstaple nightclub
- 6 North Devon grandad takes on 700 mile cycling challenge
- 7 Drink driver banned after Ilfracombe Lidl crash
- 8 Surf trio take on epic surf paddle challenge in memory of best friends
- 9 Holsworthy conveyancer crowned Young Practitioner of the Year
- 10 HubHop - New shopping app for independent shops in North Devon
The main parade is on Wednesday, setting off from the top of the village at 7.30pm with plenty of colourful floats, walkers and music. Walkers assemble Holdstone Way from 6pm, floats along the main road at 6.15 and judging is 6.30. The road will be closed from 6-10pm.
Friday, August 16 is fancy dress Wheelbarrow Race Night, with whacky barrows and contestants setting off from the top of the village at 8pm, with entrants asked to assemble from 6.30.
The celebrations wind down in style at the beach with a fireworks display at around 9.30pm.
Programmes costing £1, including entry into a Grand Prize Draw, are available at outlets around the village, or visit www.combemartincarnival.com
* THERE are a great many more events and activities in the village throughout the week, including the annual Flower Festival at St Peter Ad Vincula Church from Saturday to Tuesdays, plus carnival Songs of Praise at 4pm.
* Combe Martin Museum has a packed programme of events including a Seashore Safari (Monday), Sandcastle Competition (Tuesday), Scavenger Hunt (Wednesday) and Children’s Craft Workshop on Friday (August 16.)
* Carnival Prize Bingo is on Thursday, August 15 in the Village Hall at 7.30pm.
* A children’s pavement Art competition is on Friday, August 15 at Borough Road from 10.30-11am.
* A Static Motor Show will be held at the village Coach Park from 10am-3pm on Saturday.