Carnival cash helps Barnstaple charities
BARNSTAPLE S carnival committee presented more than �3,000 of fund-raising cheques at a special ceremony at the Guildhall on Saturday. Around 23 local charities benefited from September s event, which raised a total of �3,147.64. The amount collected was
BARNSTAPLE'S carnival committee presented more than �3,000 of fund-raising cheques at a special ceremony at the Guildhall on Saturday.
Around 23 local charities benefited from September's event, which raised a total of �3,147.64. The amount collected was slightly down on last year's total by around �300.
Among the many organisations that received money were the Children's Hospice South West, Barnstaple Youth House, Gorwell Summer Club, the Forget-me-not Appeal, and the Caroline Thorpe ward at North Devon Hospital.
"The carnival committee is hugely grateful to everyone who turned out to support, watch or donate money at this year's event," said Arthur Windsor, chairman of Barnstaple Carnival Committee.
You may also want to watch:
"This year's collection was only slightly down on what we took last year; in these hard times, that is a massive testament to the goodwill of people in Barnstaple.
"We're already looking ahead to next year's event and are looking forward to the public's on-going support in the forthcoming year.
- 1 Council and police step up Covid enforcement in North Devon
- 2 Man charged with murder of Northam pensioner
- 3 Three more Covid deaths at North Devon District Hospital but cases are falling
- 4 Ram raid burglar jailed after rampaging crime spree
- 5 Suspect remains in custody as Northam murder enquiry continues
- 6 There's light at the end of the tunnel - but for now embrace lockdown life
- 7 Terrified shoppers fled Devon city centre attack
- 8 Murder enquiry launched at Northam after death of elderly woman
- 9 Developer 'lost for words' as town council rejects £20m Bideford wharf plans
- 10 Covid-19: Follow the spirit of lockdown says police chief