Carnival cash helps Barnstaple charities
BARNSTAPLE S carnival committee presented more than �3,000 of fund-raising cheques at a special ceremony at the Guildhall on Saturday. Around 23 local charities benefited from September s event, which raised a total of �3,147.64. The amount collected was
BARNSTAPLE'S carnival committee presented more than �3,000 of fund-raising cheques at a special ceremony at the Guildhall on Saturday.
Around 23 local charities benefited from September's event, which raised a total of �3,147.64. The amount collected was slightly down on last year's total by around �300.
Among the many organisations that received money were the Children's Hospice South West, Barnstaple Youth House, Gorwell Summer Club, the Forget-me-not Appeal, and the Caroline Thorpe ward at North Devon Hospital.
"The carnival committee is hugely grateful to everyone who turned out to support, watch or donate money at this year's event," said Arthur Windsor, chairman of Barnstaple Carnival Committee.
You may also want to watch:
"This year's collection was only slightly down on what we took last year; in these hard times, that is a massive testament to the goodwill of people in Barnstaple.
"We're already looking ahead to next year's event and are looking forward to the public's on-going support in the forthcoming year.
- 1 Fugitive jailed after car chase between Bideford and Barnstaple
- 2 Hotel restriction in Westward Ho! will not be lifted
- 3 Finance manager jailed for stealing almost £1m from Witheridge company
- 4 Bid to make Ilfracombe pier car park long stay rejected
- 5 Jail for toothache attacker in North Molton
- 6 'Once-in-a-generation' Bideford development given 'full support'
- 7 Man hospitalised after alleyway assault in South Molton
- 8 Police seek driver after horse riders injured in Westward Ho! incident
- 9 Man wielding knife arrested in Barnstaple park
- 10 Braunton farmer admits ploughing up 'semi natural' land