Carnival cash helps Barnstaple charities
BARNSTAPLE S carnival committee presented more than �3,000 of fund-raising cheques at a special ceremony at the Guildhall on Saturday. Around 23 local charities benefited from September s event, which raised a total of �3,147.64. The amount collected was
BARNSTAPLE'S carnival committee presented more than �3,000 of fund-raising cheques at a special ceremony at the Guildhall on Saturday.
Around 23 local charities benefited from September's event, which raised a total of �3,147.64. The amount collected was slightly down on last year's total by around �300.
Among the many organisations that received money were the Children's Hospice South West, Barnstaple Youth House, Gorwell Summer Club, the Forget-me-not Appeal, and the Caroline Thorpe ward at North Devon Hospital.
"The carnival committee is hugely grateful to everyone who turned out to support, watch or donate money at this year's event," said Arthur Windsor, chairman of Barnstaple Carnival Committee.
You may also want to watch:
"This year's collection was only slightly down on what we took last year; in these hard times, that is a massive testament to the goodwill of people in Barnstaple.
"We're already looking ahead to next year's event and are looking forward to the public's on-going support in the forthcoming year.
- 1 Northam Murder: Accused carer told police he 'loved her to bits'
- 2 PICTURES: Prince of Wales and Duchess of Cornwall visit The Burton at Bideford
- 3 Jewellery and cash stolen in Barnstaple burglary
- 4 PICTURES: Duchess of Cornwall visits Little Bridge House in Fremington
- 5 Bideford man dies after Link Road crash near South Molton
- 6 'Spot The Oddity' in Bideford for your chance to win £100
- 7 Plan to replace old North Devon Leisure Centre with housing submitted
- 8 Britain’s most influential artists exhibit at The Burton at Bideford
- 9 Northam Murder: Expert says trail of clues link carer to the scene
- 10 A361: Crash involving car and lorry blocks Link Road near South Molton