Care got through during the snow
SIR - Nestor is a National Home Care Provider, providing home care to more 500 clients through Devon. I would like to take this opportunity to highlight the outstanding care that has been continued to be delivered during these extreme weather conditions
SIR - Nestor is a National Home Care Provider, providing home care to more 500 clients through Devon.
I would like to take this opportunity to highlight the outstanding care that has been continued to be delivered during these extreme weather conditions to the most rural of locations and in particular the North Devon areas.
With our grateful thanks, Primecare in Barnstaple, were given the assistance of a 4x4 all terrain vehicle and driver for however long that they were needed for, from 24 Commando Engineer Regiment based at RMB Chivenor, enabling services to continue for those who were vunerable and elderly.
There were two particular instances where potential life threatening situations were averted. One was an elderly couple who were in a position where no vehicles could get to, with four-foot snowdrifts in their area.
You may also want to watch:
One of our co-ordinators went with the army driver, who managed with particularly skilful driving to reach them. The gentleman client was ex-Services and was so relieved to see them. They managed to get him some electricity via his meter card and also some essential shopping to keep them going. His electricity had run out so they had no heating and as it also ran their water pump, no water either.
The second incident was when a carer found a lady who is 100 years old and blind on the floor where she had been most of the night.
- 1 'ThINK it through before you tattoo' urges council
- 2 Ilfracombe man, 64, must pay compensation for baseball bat attack
- 3 Small-time drug dealer 'caught red-handed'
- 4 Conservatives maintain control of Devon County Council despite losses
- 5 Prime minister to give green light for May 17 Covid-19 lockdown easing
- 6 North Devon sign West Indian pace bowler
- 7 County Council Elections: Candidates for Torridge
- 8 Police appeal after Barnstaple brawl
- 9 County Council Elections: Candidates for North Devon
- 10 Yelland power station development set for approval despite 700 objections
Without the army's assistance we definitely would not have reached her. She was taken to hospital and we are pleased to say she is making a good recovery.
So we would like to say a huge vote of thanks to all those unsung heroes, care workers and family members who have all worked so very hard to ensure our vital services continue during the most challenging of times.
All too often the negative side is in the public domain with regards to care for our elderly. I would like to opportunity to highlight the good news stories from within our industry.