Car smashes into supermarket petrol pump
Filling station temporarily closed following Sunday morning collision.
A BARNSTAPLE supermarket petrol station was temporarily closed after a car knocked over a pump yesterday morning (Sunday).
The forecourt at Sainsbury’s in Roundswell was cordoned off for around an hour after a customer accidentally reversed into the pump at around 10.30am.
A fire crew from Barnstaple was called to investigate the damage but stood down after ensuring the scene was safe.
A spokesperson for Sainsbury’s said no-one had been hurt and that the collision had triggered an emergency shut off valve designed to stop fuel to all pumps in the event of an accident.
You may also want to watch:
He said: “One of the pumps at our petrol filling station in Barnstaple was damaged yesterday, so we closed the site for approximately one hour while the fire brigade carried out a precautionary safety check.
Once this was complete the filling station re-opened. We apologise for any inconvenience caused.”
- 1 Drink spiking crackdown after needle attack - Devon Police
- 2 £2.1m upgrade will provide space for 38 new North Devon jobs
- 3 Bideford's First Food and Drink Festival coming soon
- 4 'Neglected' North Devon taxi firm challenged by councillors
- 5 Real ice rink coming to Barnstaple Christmas Village
- 6 Torrington woman rebuilds her life after devastating stroke
- 7 Appeal goes out to patients as Devon's health service buckle under pressure
- 8 Cyclist left with ‘serious head injuries’ after incident in Bideford
- 9 Affinity Devon seeks next Charity of the Year
- 10 Vandalism at Bideford's Brunswick Wharf development condemned