Car smashes into supermarket petrol pump
Filling station temporarily closed following Sunday morning collision.
A BARNSTAPLE supermarket petrol station was temporarily closed after a car knocked over a pump yesterday morning (Sunday).
The forecourt at Sainsbury’s in Roundswell was cordoned off for around an hour after a customer accidentally reversed into the pump at around 10.30am.
A fire crew from Barnstaple was called to investigate the damage but stood down after ensuring the scene was safe.
A spokesperson for Sainsbury’s said no-one had been hurt and that the collision had triggered an emergency shut off valve designed to stop fuel to all pumps in the event of an accident.
You may also want to watch:
He said: “One of the pumps at our petrol filling station in Barnstaple was damaged yesterday, so we closed the site for approximately one hour while the fire brigade carried out a precautionary safety check.
Once this was complete the filling station re-opened. We apologise for any inconvenience caused.”
- 1 A361 Link Road closed after three vehicle crash
- 2 Thieves steal £3,500 of fragrances from Barnstaple department store
- 3 North Devon men to swim the English Channel and back again
- 4 Bideford woman wins £70,000 and turns miles into trees
- 5 Farmer fined for ploughing up protected Iron Age remains
- 6 Tractor guidance systems taken from farm near Bideford
- 7 Rare vehicles from Dave Vanstone Collection go to auction
- 8 Bideford town centre regeneration plan backed by council
- 9 North Devon woman reveals huge collection of HM Queen portraits and memorabilia
- 10 Barnstaple firm develops new anti-Covid alloy to replace stainless steel