Car fire drama at Roundswell
- Credit: Archant
Renault Laguna bursts into flames on Barnstaple street this morning (Tuesday).
BARNSTAPLE residents watched in shock this morning (Tuesday) as a Renault Laguna burst into flames in the middle of a quiet suburban street.
Ken Praill and his wife Gaynor sent us these dramatic pictures taken just before 9.20am at the junction of Cedar Grove and Beech Close at Roundswell.
Red Watch crew from Barnstaple Fire Station were on scene within minutes of Mr Praill calling 999 and the blaze was soon out, as crew members donned breathing apparatus and used one hose reel jet to extinguish the flames.
No one was in the car and Mr Praill, a former mechanic who is now a driving instructor, said he thought the blaze may have been caused by an electrical fault.
You may also want to watch:
The couple saw the whole drama unfold, as the car began smoking before suddenly bursting into flame, mere yards from peoples’ homes.
“It was just amazing, I couldn’t believe it,” said Mrs Praill.
- 1 Farmer fined for ploughing up protected Iron Age remains
- 2 Tractor guidance systems taken from farm near Bideford
- 3 North Devon woman reveals huge collection of HM Queen portraits and memorabilia
- 4 Rare vehicles from Dave Vanstone Collection go to auction
- 5 Bideford town centre regeneration plan backed by council
- 6 South Molton youngsters enjoy Land Rover Premiership Rugby Cup
- 7 Brother told sister 'you're dead' after birthday party bust-up
- 8 Bideford woman wins £70,000 and turns miles into trees
- 9 Teams needed for Appledore RNLI Boat Pull
- 10 North Devon men to swim the English Channel and back again
“We thought it would explode and it was right next door to a bungalow.
“Fortunately there was no one involved – cars are just things, you can replace them, but you can’t replace people.”
* Was it your car that caught fire this morning? If so, we’d like to hear from you – call us on 01271 345056 or email email@example.com