Car fire drama at Roundswell
- Credit: Archant
Renault Laguna bursts into flames on Barnstaple street this morning (Tuesday).
BARNSTAPLE residents watched in shock this morning (Tuesday) as a Renault Laguna burst into flames in the middle of a quiet suburban street.
Ken Praill and his wife Gaynor sent us these dramatic pictures taken just before 9.20am at the junction of Cedar Grove and Beech Close at Roundswell.
Red Watch crew from Barnstaple Fire Station were on scene within minutes of Mr Praill calling 999 and the blaze was soon out, as crew members donned breathing apparatus and used one hose reel jet to extinguish the flames.
No one was in the car and Mr Praill, a former mechanic who is now a driving instructor, said he thought the blaze may have been caused by an electrical fault.
You may also want to watch:
The couple saw the whole drama unfold, as the car began smoking before suddenly bursting into flame, mere yards from peoples’ homes.
“It was just amazing, I couldn’t believe it,” said Mrs Praill.
- 1 Drink spiking crackdown after needle attack - Devon Police
- 2 'Neglected' North Devon taxi firm challenged by councillors
- 3 £2.1m upgrade will provide space for 38 new North Devon jobs
- 4 Bideford's First Food and Drink Festival coming soon
- 5 Real ice rink coming to Barnstaple Christmas Village
- 6 Torrington woman rebuilds her life after devastating stroke
- 7 Appeal goes out to patients as Devon's health service buckle under pressure
- 8 Cyclist left with ‘serious head injuries’ after incident in Bideford
- 9 Affinity Devon seeks next Charity of the Year
- 10 People and businesses asked to join Barnstaple clean up
“We thought it would explode and it was right next door to a bungalow.
“Fortunately there was no one involved – cars are just things, you can replace them, but you can’t replace people.”
* Was it your car that caught fire this morning? If so, we’d like to hear from you – call us on 01271 345056 or email email@example.com