Cancer group bids farewell with �5k gift
Throat cancer support group brings nine years of fund-raising to a close with a donation to the Chemotherapy Appeal
A SUPPORT group for local laryngectomees has presented a cheque for nearly �5,000 to the North Devon Chemotherapy Appeal.
The Barnstaple and North Devon Laryngectomee Club has closed the chapter on nine years of fund-raising with a �4,468.83 donation towards a new purpose-built chemotherapy unit at North Devon District Hospital.
Set up in 2002 to provide support to people who breathe through an opening in the neck – usually as a result of head and neck cancer – the club has decided to end its fund-raising activities because of its aging membership.
As well as the final donation, the club has raised funds to purchase more than �12,000 worth of equipment for head and neck cancer patients in North Devon over the years.
The group still has a dozen-or-so members and will continue to meet every month for coffee mornings and lunches to give continuing support to sufferers.
Any laryngectomees and their friends and family members are invited to come along. For more information, contact chairman Richard Williams on (01271) 379943 or treasurer Jean Fry on (01271) 814839.
- 1 Go ahead for 211 homes but Bideford plans fall short on affordable homes
- 2 Remembering much-loved and once-heaving Ilfracombe train station
- 3 Covid outbreaks in Devon’s care homes at highest level since pandemic began
- 4 North Devon holiday home tax dodgers face crackdown
- 5 Stylish Victorian property offers many period features
- 6 Queen's Theatre panto audiences raise £3,200 for local charities
- 7 South Molton's top 10 rating for pannier market
- 8 Help turn tide with Appledore community film
- 9 Rishi's thumbs up to £60m investment and 200 new jobs
- 10 Those energy bills - what has gone wrong?
To find out more about the North Devon Chemotherapy Appeal and other ways in which you can help, visit the campaign website – www.northdevonhealth.nhs.uk/charity or telephone fund-raising manager Ian Roome on (01271) 311772 or email email@example.com
Alternatively, visit the special appeal page on the Gazette website by clicking on the link on the homepage.
If you’ve got an event you’re holding in aid of the chemotherapy appeal, contact the Gazette newsdesk on (01271) 345056.