Cancer group bids farewell with �5k gift
Throat cancer support group brings nine years of fund-raising to a close with a donation to the Chemotherapy Appeal
A SUPPORT group for local laryngectomees has presented a cheque for nearly �5,000 to the North Devon Chemotherapy Appeal.
The Barnstaple and North Devon Laryngectomee Club has closed the chapter on nine years of fund-raising with a �4,468.83 donation towards a new purpose-built chemotherapy unit at North Devon District Hospital.
Set up in 2002 to provide support to people who breathe through an opening in the neck – usually as a result of head and neck cancer – the club has decided to end its fund-raising activities because of its aging membership.
As well as the final donation, the club has raised funds to purchase more than �12,000 worth of equipment for head and neck cancer patients in North Devon over the years.
You may also want to watch:
The group still has a dozen-or-so members and will continue to meet every month for coffee mornings and lunches to give continuing support to sufferers.
Any laryngectomees and their friends and family members are invited to come along. For more information, contact chairman Richard Williams on (01271) 379943 or treasurer Jean Fry on (01271) 814839.
- 1 Northam man who searched for child pornography sent on treatment course
- 2 PICTURES: Women 'Walk Taller Than The Trees' at Nightwalk 2021
- 3 Man seriously injured at Appledore Quay - Witness Appeal
- 4 PICTURES: Bideford 10k is back for 2021
- 5 Tributes paid to North Devon librarian Ian Tansley
- 6 820 homes approved for Landkey despite council concern
- 7 Torridge launches Waste and Recycling Roadshows
- 8 Dolton remembers resident Rolling Stone Charlie Watts
- 9 Sale of Bideford's Brunswick Wharf completed
- 10 Bounce back victory for Barnstaple
To find out more about the North Devon Chemotherapy Appeal and other ways in which you can help, visit the campaign website – www.northdevonhealth.nhs.uk/charity or telephone fund-raising manager Ian Roome on (01271) 311772 or email email@example.com
Alternatively, visit the special appeal page on the Gazette website by clicking on the link on the homepage.
If you’ve got an event you’re holding in aid of the chemotherapy appeal, contact the Gazette newsdesk on (01271) 345056.