Cancer group bids farewell with �5k gift
Throat cancer support group brings nine years of fund-raising to a close with a donation to the Chemotherapy Appeal
A SUPPORT group for local laryngectomees has presented a cheque for nearly �5,000 to the North Devon Chemotherapy Appeal.
The Barnstaple and North Devon Laryngectomee Club has closed the chapter on nine years of fund-raising with a �4,468.83 donation towards a new purpose-built chemotherapy unit at North Devon District Hospital.
Set up in 2002 to provide support to people who breathe through an opening in the neck – usually as a result of head and neck cancer – the club has decided to end its fund-raising activities because of its aging membership.
As well as the final donation, the club has raised funds to purchase more than �12,000 worth of equipment for head and neck cancer patients in North Devon over the years.
You may also want to watch:
The group still has a dozen-or-so members and will continue to meet every month for coffee mornings and lunches to give continuing support to sufferers.
Any laryngectomees and their friends and family members are invited to come along. For more information, contact chairman Richard Williams on (01271) 379943 or treasurer Jean Fry on (01271) 814839.
- 1 County Council Elections: Candidates for Torridge
- 2 Small-time drug dealer 'caught red-handed'
- 3 County Council Elections: Candidates for North Devon
- 4 12 countries announced on travel green list from May 17
- 5 Police appeal after Barnstaple brawl
- 6 Dog Restrictions come into force on Westward Ho! Beach
- 7 North Devon seconds look to bounce back from heavy defeat
- 8 Bideford paramedic compensated after winning victimisation claim
- 9 Shocked Barnstaple burglary victim watched raid on phone
- 10 Devon County Council Elections: Candidate lists for North Devon and Torridge
To find out more about the North Devon Chemotherapy Appeal and other ways in which you can help, visit the campaign website – www.northdevonhealth.nhs.uk/charity or telephone fund-raising manager Ian Roome on (01271) 311772 or email email@example.com
Alternatively, visit the special appeal page on the Gazette website by clicking on the link on the homepage.
If you’ve got an event you’re holding in aid of the chemotherapy appeal, contact the Gazette newsdesk on (01271) 345056.