Cancer Care Trust continues work for new chemotherapy unit
A NORTHAM-based charity which has already raised �1.5 million to help provide facilities for those suffering from cancer is continuing its work despite the death earlier this year of its founder and leading light.
The North Devon Cancer Care Centre Trust founded in 1994 and run ever since by the late Jennifer Bonetta, is to continue its work under her son James and nine local trustees.
Its main focus is to see the completion of a new chemotherapy unit at the North Devon District Hospital, working alongside the �2.2 million NDDH Chemotherapy Appeal.
The trust has already contributed �250,000 to the fund.
It also provides transport for those needing to travel from North Devon and Torridge to hospital in Exeter for radiotherapy treatment – its vehicles over the years now nearing the one million miles mark – and has financed a range of specialist hospital equipment and a video conferencing link between North Devon and Exeter, used by doctors and patients to reduce their amounts of travelling.
You may also want to watch:
James said people had wondered what was happening to the trust following the death of his mother three months ago.
“We will carry on with mum’s work as she would like us to, continuing to run our successful charity shop in Westward Ho! with the aid of our volunteers and holding our popular quizzes as well as the invaluable donations we receive from a range of supporting organisations. The fund raising continues. The trust helped provide the first chemotherapy unit at the North Devon hospital and subsequently helped set up the pharmacy which provides its drugs. A new unit is now badly needed so, for her and all the volunteer helpers on whom we rely, we want to see the new chemotherapy unit completed.”
- 1 Volunteers come together to spruce up Barnstaple Train Station
- 2 New home grown manager for South Molton Swimming Pool
- 3 New council led leisure company Active Torridge appoints director
- 4 Homeless man jailed after attacking Barnstaple soldier in McDonald's
- 5 Murder investigation launched in Bideford after woman found dead
- 6 Appeal launched to raise £100,000 for new play equipment in Bideford
- 7 More than 530 nights in a tent - Max Woosey wins Young Hero Award
- 8 7 top tips to help you find the perfect wedding venue
- 9 North Devon's Amy Riley takes her motorsports dream to next level
- 10 Equestrian star celebrates with sporting royalty