Cancer Care Trust continues work for new chemotherapy unit
A NORTHAM-based charity which has already raised �1.5 million to help provide facilities for those suffering from cancer is continuing its work despite the death earlier this year of its founder and leading light.
The North Devon Cancer Care Centre Trust founded in 1994 and run ever since by the late Jennifer Bonetta, is to continue its work under her son James and nine local trustees.
Its main focus is to see the completion of a new chemotherapy unit at the North Devon District Hospital, working alongside the �2.2 million NDDH Chemotherapy Appeal.
The trust has already contributed �250,000 to the fund.
It also provides transport for those needing to travel from North Devon and Torridge to hospital in Exeter for radiotherapy treatment – its vehicles over the years now nearing the one million miles mark – and has financed a range of specialist hospital equipment and a video conferencing link between North Devon and Exeter, used by doctors and patients to reduce their amounts of travelling.
You may also want to watch:
James said people had wondered what was happening to the trust following the death of his mother three months ago.
“We will carry on with mum’s work as she would like us to, continuing to run our successful charity shop in Westward Ho! with the aid of our volunteers and holding our popular quizzes as well as the invaluable donations we receive from a range of supporting organisations. The fund raising continues. The trust helped provide the first chemotherapy unit at the North Devon hospital and subsequently helped set up the pharmacy which provides its drugs. A new unit is now badly needed so, for her and all the volunteer helpers on whom we rely, we want to see the new chemotherapy unit completed.”
- 1 Small-time drug dealer 'caught red-handed'
- 2 'ThINK it through before you tattoo' urges council
- 3 Prime minister to give green light for May 17 Covid-19 lockdown easing
- 4 County Council Elections: Candidates for Torridge
- 5 Police appeal after Barnstaple brawl
- 6 Conservatives maintain control of Devon County Council despite losses
- 7 County Council Elections: Candidates for North Devon
- 8 Ilfracombe man, 64, must pay compensation for baseball bat attack
- 9 Bideford paramedic compensated after winning victimisation claim
- 10 12 countries announced on travel green list from May 17