Campaign to help older drivers stay safe on Devon's roads
OLDER drivers are being given help to stay safe on the county s roads. A partnership campaign is being launched on Thursday to offer advice and support to older motorists by Devon County Council, Devon and Cornwall Police and the Higheways Agency. A new
OLDER drivers are being given help to stay safe on the county's roads.
A partnership campaign is being launched on Thursday to offer advice and support to older motorists by Devon County Council, Devon and Cornwall Police and the Higheways Agency.
A new DVD is being launched by the county and police as part of the Driving Safer for Longer scheme and the Highways Agency will be promoting its Careful! Considerate! Correct! DVD and booklet.
Driving Safer for Longer addresses health-related driving issues, and also offers practical skills to allow motorists to review their ability. Careful! Considerate! Correct! is the Highways Agency's DVD and booklet aimed at older drivers and is a light-hearted reminder of essential tips for safer driving.
You may also want to watch:
Drivers over the age of 70 have to re-apply for a driving licence and the initiatives can help motorists ensure they are fit to be behind the wheel. Statistically, an older person's risk of being killed or suffering a serious injury as a result of a road traffic collision is up to five times greater because of increases in physical frailty.
Councillor Stuart Hughes, Devon County Council Cabinet Member for Highways and Transportation, said: "A driving licence is very important for many older drivers in maintaining their independence, particularly for those who live in rural areas and need their car to go shopping, to go to the doctors and to social events. For those who want to continue to drive, these two schemes can help make everyone safer on our roads. There will come a time in all of our lives when we have to stop driving. Knowing when to stop driving is not an easy decision, but these schemes offer valuable advice and support.
- 1 Speeding driver facing jail after 'web of lies'
- 2 Chivenor marines among UK troops hit by Norway Covid outbreak
- 3 Covid-19 roundup: Devon cases fall but follow lockdown rules
- 4 Busy first day for new Covid-19 vaccination centre at Westward Ho!
- 5 Pictures: North Devon's winter wonderland
- 6 Judge jails 'worst' drink driver he has ever seen
- 7 Work begins on Northam Burrows Visitor Centre refurbishment
- 8 Tributes paid to 'legendary' North Devon vet Brian Crawford
- 9 Two arrested as teenager fights for life after Ilfracombe stabbing
- 10 Covid vaccine: Roll out continues but is North Devon being left out?