Campaign to give stray dogs a happy Christmas
PEOPLE in North Devon are being urged to spare a though for stray dogs this Christmas. A special collection point is being set up to enable people to donate gifts and treats to help brighten up Christmas Day for unwanted animals. Animal lover Joanne Bell
PEOPLE in North Devon are being urged to spare a though for stray dogs this Christmas.
A special collection point is being set up to enable people to donate gifts and treats to help brighten up Christmas Day for unwanted animals.
Animal lover Joanne Bell from Yelland has devised a "doggie shopping list" and is appealing to people to support a stray this Christmas.
"We have recently seen such an appalling rise in really horrendous incidents of animal abuse and discarded pets and I wanted to do something for those on the 'front line'," Joanne told the Gazette.
You may also want to watch:
"It appears when things get tough for us humans, the first thing we discard is the family pet. I understand that these animal charities are absolutely overflowing with our cast-off friends and I thought it was time to try and help man's best friend!"
Joanne is asking people to donate treats, tins of dog food, dog chews, safe dog toys, presents, old or new blankets and towels. She hopes that local schools will also get involved with the appeal, being held to assist the Dogs' Trust re-homing centre at West Down, and the North Devon Animal Ambulance.
- 1 Devon's Tiki surf brand is up for sale
- 2 I'm Still Standing: Ambulance worker's battle against the darkness
- 3 'Bonkers' idea led to the creation of Children's Hospice South West
- 4 Northam murder suspect remanded in custody
- 5 Barnstaple's The ilab launches iPad appeal to help lockdown home schoolers
- 6 Tributes to Ilfracombe's 30-year school governor
- 7 Barnstaple man cleared of drug dealing charges
- 8 Three more Covid deaths at North Devon District Hospital but cases are falling
- 9 Man charged with murder of Northam pensioner
- 10 Council and police step up Covid enforcement in North Devon
Anybody interested in donating or helping out can telephone Joanne on (01271) 860989.