Campaign to give stray dogs a happy Christmas
PEOPLE in North Devon are being urged to spare a though for stray dogs this Christmas. A special collection point is being set up to enable people to donate gifts and treats to help brighten up Christmas Day for unwanted animals. Animal lover Joanne Bell
PEOPLE in North Devon are being urged to spare a though for stray dogs this Christmas.
A special collection point is being set up to enable people to donate gifts and treats to help brighten up Christmas Day for unwanted animals.
Animal lover Joanne Bell from Yelland has devised a "doggie shopping list" and is appealing to people to support a stray this Christmas.
"We have recently seen such an appalling rise in really horrendous incidents of animal abuse and discarded pets and I wanted to do something for those on the 'front line'," Joanne told the Gazette.
You may also want to watch:
"It appears when things get tough for us humans, the first thing we discard is the family pet. I understand that these animal charities are absolutely overflowing with our cast-off friends and I thought it was time to try and help man's best friend!"
Joanne is asking people to donate treats, tins of dog food, dog chews, safe dog toys, presents, old or new blankets and towels. She hopes that local schools will also get involved with the appeal, being held to assist the Dogs' Trust re-homing centre at West Down, and the North Devon Animal Ambulance.
- 1 £34,000 raised for plumber Jed Mason with stage four cancer in less than 48 hours
- 2 One of Bideford's oldest tea rooms sold at auction
- 3 Barnstaple dealer says £3,100 stash in loft was poor quality
- 4 New details on Barnstaple town centre regeneration revealed
- 5 Brunswick Wharf developer given grant money to fix quay wall
- 6 Opening of new nature reserve in Lynton
- 7 Homeless man jailed after attacking Barnstaple soldier in McDonald's
- 8 North Devon's largest private employer needs workers to expand
- 9 MISSING: Police search for David Kose from Ilfracombe
- 10 Celebrations as gate to Pilton's Manning's Pit officially opened
Anybody interested in donating or helping out can telephone Joanne on (01271) 860989.