Campaign set up to save North Devon Theatres
- Credit: Archant
A Facebook campaign and petition to save North Devon Theatres has amassed thousands of followers overnight.
A campaign has been set up to save North Devon Theatres from indefinite closure.
A Save North Devon Theatres Facebook page has amassed more than 4,000 followers since it was set up yesterday (Monday).
And a petition set up asking North Devon Council, who own the buildings, to keep the theatres open has had more than 2,000 signatures.
It follows the announcement yesterday that the Theatres Trust had gone into administration.
Helen Cooper, who set up the page and petition, said: “I want to call the communities of Barnstaple and Ilfracombe to action.
“Please write to North Devon Council asking them to re-open the theatres as soon as possible.
“They are a vital community hub that bring vibrancy and cultural life to the heart of North Devon, aswell as lots of much needed employment.
You may also want to watch:
“There are over 100 staff and volunteers engaged in providing a variety of live entertainment and educational activities to the area.
“We cannot afford to let these fantastic people and buildings go.”
- 1 Yelland power station development set for approval despite 700 objections
- 2 Search for missing Ilfracombe woman Hannah Peacock continues
- 3 Schizophrenic mugger sent to mental unit after Barnstaple robbery
- 4 Crooked party leader with ties to Bideford was a serial conman
- 5 The boy in the tent Max Woosey receives prestigious award
- 6 Drug driver banned after crashing during chase through North Devon
- 7 Old Tannery in South Molton to be turned into new homes
- 8 Egg-ceptional packaging design from autistic Petroc student Brooke
- 9 Men admit Ilfracombe park stabbing
- 10 Fugitive jailed after car chase between Bideford and Barnstaple
Since the news broke, councillors, MPs, actors, theatre groups, former MPs and many more have reacted with shock and upset.
Read more reaction on the closure of North Devon Theatres Trust here.