Call goes out to all Blacksell’s boys...
- Credit: Archant
Barnstaple old boys invited to get together at special reunion this summer.
FORMER classmates of Barnstaple Boys’ Secondary School are being invited to get together for a reunion with a difference this summer.
Anyone who went to the school under headmaster John ‘Blackie’ Blacksell is invited to come to the event at Barnstaple Rugby Club on Saturday, June 21.
The reunion is being organised by former old boy Gerald Thorne, 74, from Sticklepath.
The retired painter and decorator has held a number of reunions for former Blacksell’s boys since 2001, but now hopes to reunite all former pupils of the school, rather than just those from his year group.
You may also want to watch:
“The reunions have always been popular but there are less of us about now, so this year we thought it’d be a nice idea to open it to all the old pupils who went to the school,” said Gerald, who was a pupil from 1950 to 1955.
“I would love to hear from anyone who was at the school from its inception.”
- 1 'No Fuel' - Panic buying and fuel shortages hit North Devon
- 2 £34,000 raised for plumber Jed Mason with stage four cancer in less than 48 hours
- 3 One of Bideford's oldest tea rooms sold at auction
- 4 Clubber denies headbutt assault in Barnstaple
- 5 Barnstaple dealer says £3,100 stash in loft was poor quality
- 6 Brunswick Wharf developer given grant money to fix quay wall
- 7 New details on Barnstaple town centre regeneration revealed
- 8 Opening of new nature reserve in Lynton
- 9 Celebrations as gate to Pilton's Manning's Pit officially opened
- 10 MISSING: Police search for David Kose from Ilfracombe
The school – also known as Derby College and Blacksell’s Academy – closed in the 1970s and is now Yeo Valley Junior School.
Gerald is also hoping old alumni will help supply school memorabilia for a special display being created for the night of the reunion.
He said: “I need to find photographs and memorabilia to produce a display of the school’s history, but more importantly I need to find the former pupils of the school.”
Former pupils can contact Gerald on 01271 345054.