Call for more firefighters
A North Devon fire station is in desperate need of volunteers to be on call during the day time.
Devon & Somerset Fire and Rescue Service is urgently looking to recruit retained firefighters for a North Devon town.
The service is looking for members of the community who will be available for call-outs during the daytime in South Molton.
Darren Homewood, watch manager, said: “Firefighters are normal people who live or work in the community.
“They are builders, housewives, postal workers and shopkeepers – in fact they come from every walk of life.
You may also want to watch:
“The only thing they have in common is that they have all decided to put something back into the community by becoming trained as firefighters.
“We know that there are many more women twho are capable of becoming firefighters who are reluctant to put themselves forward.
- 1 Jealous Barnstaple boyfriend made divorcee get rid of wedding dress
- 2 North Devon business signs up to 1 billion tree project
- 3 The Plough announces Open-Air Theatre Festival
- 4 Holidaycottages.co.uk celebrates launch of new office in Braunton
- 5 Criminal damage at Fremington Football Club - Police appeal
- 6 Little Leo’s big challenge for Children’s Hospice South West
- 7 Bungling Northam burglar facing jail
- 8 Boris Johnson - Time between Covid jabs cut in response to Indian variant
- 9 North Devon sign West Indian pace bowler
- 10 'ThINK it through before you tattoo' urges council
“Most people believe that the physical strength required to be a firefighter is greater than it actually is.
“Now it is the firefighters themselves who need your help; there simply aren’t enough of them and there is a real shortage of new volunteers.”
Recruiting local volunteers will enable the South Molton appliance to still be used within the town, instead of having to call out other stations.
Applicants must be ages 18 or over and physically fit, and need to be available Monday-Friday and in particular during the daytime.
Successful applicants will have a chance to attend first aid courses and LGV driving courses.
A recruitment day will be held from 6.30pm to 8pm on April 19 at South Molton fire station for anyone who is interested to find out more information on what the role would entail.