Call for more firefighters
A North Devon fire station is in desperate need of volunteers to be on call during the day time.
Devon & Somerset Fire and Rescue Service is urgently looking to recruit retained firefighters for a North Devon town.
The service is looking for members of the community who will be available for call-outs during the daytime in South Molton.
Darren Homewood, watch manager, said: “Firefighters are normal people who live or work in the community.
“They are builders, housewives, postal workers and shopkeepers – in fact they come from every walk of life.
You may also want to watch:
“The only thing they have in common is that they have all decided to put something back into the community by becoming trained as firefighters.
“We know that there are many more women twho are capable of becoming firefighters who are reluctant to put themselves forward.
- 1 MISSING: Police search for Peter Hughes from Combe Martin area
- 2 Aldi plans for three new stores in North Devon
- 3 'Kinky Boots' coming to Barnstaple's Queen's Theatre
- 4 North Devon charity organises Routes of Remembrance
- 5 Developer sponsors Shammy FC youth teams
- 6 'Neglected' North Devon taxi firm challenged by councillors
- 7 North Devon Healthcare trust scores high in patient survey
- 8 Firework display set to return to Barnstaple Rugby Club for 2021
- 9 Devon health boss 'concerned' at low Covid booster uptake
- 10 £2.1m upgrade will provide space for 38 new North Devon jobs
“Most people believe that the physical strength required to be a firefighter is greater than it actually is.
“Now it is the firefighters themselves who need your help; there simply aren’t enough of them and there is a real shortage of new volunteers.”
Recruiting local volunteers will enable the South Molton appliance to still be used within the town, instead of having to call out other stations.
Applicants must be ages 18 or over and physically fit, and need to be available Monday-Friday and in particular during the daytime.
Successful applicants will have a chance to attend first aid courses and LGV driving courses.
A recruitment day will be held from 6.30pm to 8pm on April 19 at South Molton fire station for anyone who is interested to find out more information on what the role would entail.