SIR - As an 84-year-old user of the buses, I was interested to read on page 5 of the Gazette (February 16) that there is a concessionary fares shortfall of �5.35m.
May I make two suggestions:
a) Charge us oldies �1 or 50p depending on the distance we travel each time we use a bus.
b) Review the usage made of the various routes that the county council financially support.
There are eight buses each hour between Northam, where I live, and Barnstaple, and seldom between 9.30am and 3.30pm are there 10 passengers on a bus.
You may also want to watch:
Substantial carbon emission reductions may also result.
I shall be pleased to hear what my aged friends think about my proposals.
- 1 52-year-old man dies in three car crash between Bideford and Torrington
- 2 Police investigate midnight assault on scooter rider in Barnstaple
- 3 North Devon Healthcare Trust department awarded Academic status
- 4 Northam Murder: Grieving family condemn killer's lies and cruelty
- 5 Coveted Muddy Stiletto award for Bideford's Josie's Interiors
- 6 Barnstaple Fair set to return for 2021 - 'May the show go on!'
- 7 Northam Murder: 'Merciless' carer gets life for killing client who caught him stealing
- 8 Man dies after 'single vehicle collision' on the A386
- 9 Woman reportedly assaulted at Bideford park - Police seek witnesses
- 10 Northam Murder: Carer guilty of brutal murder of frail widow
Fred Lush, Northam.