SIR - As an 84-year-old user of the buses, I was interested to read on page 5 of the Gazette (February 16) that there is a concessionary fares shortfall of �5.35m.
May I make two suggestions:
a) Charge us oldies �1 or 50p depending on the distance we travel each time we use a bus.
b) Review the usage made of the various routes that the county council financially support.
There are eight buses each hour between Northam, where I live, and Barnstaple, and seldom between 9.30am and 3.30pm are there 10 passengers on a bus.
You may also want to watch:
Substantial carbon emission reductions may also result.
I shall be pleased to hear what my aged friends think about my proposals.
- 1 Aldi plans for three new stores in North Devon
- 2 'Kinky Boots' coming to Barnstaple's Queen's Theatre
- 3 MISSING: Police search for Peter Hughes from Combe Martin area
- 4 Developer sponsors Shammy FC youth teams
- 5 Barnstaple Enterprise Hub 'Node' launches to support local businesses
- 6 Cook book to help in Afghanistan produced in South Molton
- 7 Holsworthy solicitor praised by guide to UK’s top lawyers
- 8 Firework display set to return to Barnstaple Rugby Club for 2021
- 9 'Neglected' North Devon taxi firm challenged by councillors
- 10 £2.1m upgrade will provide space for 38 new North Devon jobs
Fred Lush, Northam.