Burrows vandals in the minority
SIR - We have been visitors to the Northam Burrows for more than 10 years now (first discovered when we had a seasonal caravan at nearby Horns Cross). I was so saddened to read the article on your website, Dogs worry sheep on Braunton Burrows. We still c
SIR - We have been visitors to the Northam Burrows for more than 10 years now (first discovered when we had a seasonal caravan at nearby Horns Cross). I was so saddened to read the article on your website, Dogs worry sheep on Braunton Burrows.
We still come to the Burrows from Somerset at least once a month in our motorhome and have never failed to experience the peace and atmosphere of this very beautiful place. While walking our three springers (always on leads!!) we have met and chatted with some lovely fellow responsible dog owners.
We witnessed on Sunday a farmer bringing his sheep to the Burrows to graze and he let them out of their transport with such tenderness. It is desperately sad that the mindless few as mentioned in your report can create such havoc.
We also witnessed on Sunday afternoon an idiot trying to do "wheelies" in his car - it is always the minority! Would it not be a good idea to have somewhere strategically placed a telephone number where wardens could be contacted if something like this arose or sheep worrying was witnessed?
You may also want to watch:
On a separate point, a lot of people stopped and admired a collection of about 10 extremely bright and hairy yellow caterpillars coming out from a gorse bush not far from the parking area. They had large red antennae on their rear ends. Any idea what they were?
Long may the Burrows survive and give pleasure to future generations.
- 1 Speeding driver facing jail after 'web of lies'
- 2 Covid-19 roundup: Devon cases fall but follow lockdown rules
- 3 Two charged with attempted murder after Ilfracombe stabbing
- 4 Chivenor marines among UK troops hit by Norway Covid outbreak
- 5 Burglars hit Ilfracombe business twice in three days
- 6 Busy first day for new Covid-19 vaccination centre at Westward Ho!
- 7 Work begins on Northam Burrows Visitor Centre refurbishment
- 8 Judge jails 'worst' drink driver he has ever seen
- 9 Pictures: North Devon's winter wonderland
- 10 Tributes paid to 'legendary' North Devon vet Brian Crawford
Rosemary Stanton, Street, Somerset.