Burrows vandals in the minority
SIR - We have been visitors to the Northam Burrows for more than 10 years now (first discovered when we had a seasonal caravan at nearby Horns Cross). I was so saddened to read the article on your website, Dogs worry sheep on Braunton Burrows. We still c
SIR - We have been visitors to the Northam Burrows for more than 10 years now (first discovered when we had a seasonal caravan at nearby Horns Cross). I was so saddened to read the article on your website, Dogs worry sheep on Braunton Burrows.
We still come to the Burrows from Somerset at least once a month in our motorhome and have never failed to experience the peace and atmosphere of this very beautiful place. While walking our three springers (always on leads!!) we have met and chatted with some lovely fellow responsible dog owners.
We witnessed on Sunday a farmer bringing his sheep to the Burrows to graze and he let them out of their transport with such tenderness. It is desperately sad that the mindless few as mentioned in your report can create such havoc.
We also witnessed on Sunday afternoon an idiot trying to do "wheelies" in his car - it is always the minority! Would it not be a good idea to have somewhere strategically placed a telephone number where wardens could be contacted if something like this arose or sheep worrying was witnessed?
You may also want to watch:
On a separate point, a lot of people stopped and admired a collection of about 10 extremely bright and hairy yellow caterpillars coming out from a gorse bush not far from the parking area. They had large red antennae on their rear ends. Any idea what they were?
Long may the Burrows survive and give pleasure to future generations.
- 1 52-year-old man dies in three car crash between Bideford and Torrington
- 2 Coveted Muddy Stiletto award for Bideford's Josie's Interiors
- 3 Police investigate midnight assault on scooter rider in Barnstaple
- 4 North Devon Healthcare Trust department awarded Academic status
- 5 Northam Murder: Grieving family condemn killer's lies and cruelty
- 6 Man dies after crash involving two lorries and a motorbike near Torrington
- 7 Woman reportedly assaulted at Bideford park - Police seek witnesses
- 8 Northam Murder: 'Merciless' carer gets life for killing client who caught him stealing
- 9 MP opens new Northam Burrows Visitor Centre at Westward Ho!
- 10 Barnstaple Fair set to return for 2021 - 'May the show go on!'
Rosemary Stanton, Street, Somerset.