Breast screening unit in South Molton
WOMEN in South Molton and surrounding area will be able to get a breast screen in their own town. A breast screening unit will be based in the car park at South Molton hospital for four weeks from July 21. Women between the ages of 50 and 70, who are re
WOMEN in South Molton and surrounding area will be able to get a breast screen in their own town.
A breast screening unit will be based in the car park at South Molton hospital for four weeks from July 21.
Women between the ages of 50 and 70, who are registered with a GP, will be sent an appointment to have a mammogram as part of the National NHS Breast Screening Programme.
Women over 70 will need to book an appointment by calling the breast screening unit in Exeter on 01392 262 600.
You may also want to watch:
The programme was set up by the Department of Health in 1988 and provides free breast screening every three years for all women in the UK aged 50 and over.
Breast screening is an effective way of detecting breast cancer at an early stage and it improves the chances of successful treatment and recovery.
- 1 'Once-in-a-generation' Bideford development given 'full support'
- 2 Hotel restriction in Westward Ho! will not be lifted
- 3 Fashion store opened by North Devon Against Domestic Abuse
- 4 Fugitive jailed after car chase between Bideford and Barnstaple
- 5 Finance manager jailed for stealing almost £1m from Witheridge company
- 6 Coronavirus infection rate for North Devon is zero - no cases in a week
- 7 Jail for toothache attacker in North Molton
- 8 Have your say on the future of North Devon phone boxes
- 9 Bid to make Ilfracombe pier car park long stay rejected
- 10 Take on an Incredible Hike for Children’s Hospice South West
Mammograms taken can detect small changes in breast tissue which may indicate cancers which are too small to be noticed by a physical examination.
Nearly two million women are screened in the UK every year and it is estimated to save over 1,400 lives each year in England alone.
The North and East Devon Breast Screening Service is commissioned by Devon Primary Care Trust.