Breaking news: Van blown onto car on Bideford bridge
- Credit: Archant
PHOTOS AND VIDEO: Police close bridge as severe gales hit North Devon.
Update 2.45pm: The bridge remains closed to high-sided vehicles but is open to all other traffic.
SEVERE gales have blown a removals van onto a car on the Torridge Bridge in Bideford.
Police have closed the bridge and part of the A39 following the incident, which happened at around 10.35am today (Wednesday).
Emergency services are currently at the scene tending to what police have described as three ‘walking wounded’.
You may also want to watch:
The front of green Ford Fiesta, registered to an address in Barnstaple, has been badly damaged in the collision with the high-sided VW LT35 light goods vehicle, registered to Crediton.
Warnings for severe gales and potential flooding have been issued for the North Devon area today. The Met Office has issued an amber warning for the South West, with forecast southerly gales with gusts of 60 to 70 mph.
Police say the bridge will not be reopened until winds have dropped and the road cleared.
- 1 Brother told sister 'you're dead' after birthday party bust-up
- 2 Man with 'fearsome' ornamental knife arrested in Barnstaple
- 3 Ilfracombe dressage star Caitlin Burgess pursues Olympic dream
- 4 PICTURES: New Bideford book merges old pictures with new
- 5 Chaos guaranteed at the first Bideford Soapbox Derby
- 6 Assault and attempted robbery near Tarka Trail
- 7 Man arrested after 'serious assault' outside Barnstaple nightclub
- 8 North Devon grandad takes on 700 mile cycling challenge
- 9 Drink driver banned after Ilfracombe Lidl crash
- 10 Holsworthy conveyancer crowned Young Practitioner of the Year