Breaking news: Van blown onto car on Bideford bridge
- Credit: Archant
PHOTOS AND VIDEO: Police close bridge as severe gales hit North Devon.
Update 2.45pm: The bridge remains closed to high-sided vehicles but is open to all other traffic.
SEVERE gales have blown a removals van onto a car on the Torridge Bridge in Bideford.
Police have closed the bridge and part of the A39 following the incident, which happened at around 10.35am today (Wednesday).
Emergency services are currently at the scene tending to what police have described as three ‘walking wounded’.
You may also want to watch:
The front of green Ford Fiesta, registered to an address in Barnstaple, has been badly damaged in the collision with the high-sided VW LT35 light goods vehicle, registered to Crediton.
Warnings for severe gales and potential flooding have been issued for the North Devon area today. The Met Office has issued an amber warning for the South West, with forecast southerly gales with gusts of 60 to 70 mph.
Police say the bridge will not be reopened until winds have dropped and the road cleared.
- 1 One of Bideford's oldest tea rooms sold at auction
- 2 £34,000 raised for plumber Jed Mason with stage four cancer in less than 48 hours
- 3 New details on Barnstaple town centre regeneration revealed
- 4 Barnstaple dealer says £3,100 stash in loft was poor quality
- 5 Brunswick Wharf developer given grant money to fix quay wall
- 6 Opening of new nature reserve in Lynton
- 7 Clubber denies headbutt assault in Barnstaple
- 8 North Devon's largest private employer needs workers to expand
- 9 Homeless man jailed after attacking Barnstaple soldier in McDonald's
- 10 Celebrations as gate to Pilton's Manning's Pit officially opened