BREAKING NEWS... Record-breaking train about to arrive at Bideford station
THE train about to arrive at Bideford s platform one is…. a record-breaker if television presenter James May and a small army of volunteers stay on track with their bid to build the world s longest model railway. The one-off attempt, being made today (Mon
THE train about to arrive at Bideford's platform one is.... a record-breaker if television presenter James May and a small army of volunteers stay on track with their bid to build the world's longest model railway.
The one-off attempt, being made today (Monday) along a disused stretch of railway between Barnstaple and Bideford stations, is currently chugging along the Tarka Trail. When it left Barnstaple earlier today, the train was expected to reach Bideford between 4pm and 5pm, although progress reports suggest the tiny model is now running around an hour late!
Its eventual arrival will be met by a host of Victorian costumed characters to emulate the arrival of the train in Bideford in Victorian times.
The whole stunt is being filmed for a new BBC television series, James May's Toy Stories, in which the presenter attempts to "get kids out of their bedrooms and away from their computers, drag parents off their backsides and get them all playing together again".
You may also want to watch:
For a full story and pictures, see Wednesday's North Devon Gazette.
- 1 Council and police step up Covid enforcement in North Devon
- 2 Man charged with murder of Northam pensioner
- 3 Three more Covid deaths at North Devon District Hospital but cases are falling
- 4 Ram raid burglar jailed after rampaging crime spree
- 5 Terrified shoppers fled Devon city centre attack
- 6 Suspect remains in custody as Northam murder enquiry continues
- 7 There's light at the end of the tunnel - but for now embrace lockdown life
- 8 Covid-19: Follow the spirit of lockdown says police chief
- 9 Developer 'lost for words' as town council rejects £20m Bideford wharf plans
- 10 Murder enquiry launched at Northam after death of elderly woman