BREAKING NEWS: Fire crews called to Bickington blaze
- Credit: Archant
PHOTOS and VIDEO: Firefighters currently working to bring large fire next to the Old Barn Inn under control
Update 7.40pm: The road remains closed to traffic, with police directing at the Cedars roundabout.
Fire crews have reduced to one, and fire fighters remain dampening down the scene.
FIRE crews are currently battling a major fire on Bickington Road in Barnstaple.
Three fire engines and an aerial platform from Barnstaple and Braunton were scrambled to the scene after multiple reports of the fire just before 5pm
You may also want to watch:
The vacant building next to the Old Barn Inn on Tews Lane was well alight by the time they arrived.
Fire fighters fought the flames wearing breathing apparatus and using hose reel jets rigged up to water hydrants in the street.
- 1 North Devon woman reveals huge collection of HM Queen portraits and memorabilia
- 2 Farmer fined for ploughing up protected Iron Age remains
- 3 Bideford town centre regeneration plan backed by council
- 4 Brother told sister 'you're dead' after birthday party bust-up
- 5 Rare vehicles from Dave Vanstone Collection go to auction
- 6 Bideford Pannier Market offers traders new deal
- 7 Barnstaple Pannier Market support return of Barnstaple In Bloom
- 8 Chaos guaranteed at the first Bideford Soapbox Derby
- 9 North Devon builders bums needed for charity calendar
- 10 Tractor guidance systems taken from farm near Bideford
But the flames consumed the roof and much of the walls with billows of smoke visible for miles.
Western Power Distribution also attended the scene to disconnect an electricty cable from the property.
Fire crews are currently still at the scene and the road remains closed.