Brave Hamish helps other children in need
Shirwell teenager planning more fund-raisers for annual BBC appeal despite undergoing major operation
A SHIRWELL teenager is making plans to boost his six-year support for Children in Need despite recently undergoing major spinal surgery.
Hamish Thompson, 14, is unable to stand or walk after suffering complications with a polio vaccination when he was a baby.
Despite being confined to a wheelchair, the Pilton Community College student has already raised more than �5,000 for the appeal, and he hopes to swell his special contribution with two events on Saturday and Sunday.
Mum, Jacqui said didn’t think Hamish would be able to take part in the fund-raising this year due to his operation.
You may also want to watch:
“The procedure will give him more support and stop his spine from curving but he is still in a bit of discomfort and it will take him a bit of time to recover.
“I was unsure whether he’d be able to do his fund-raising this year but he feels quite passionate about it and he wanted to do it.”
- 1 Man dies after crash involving two lorries and a motorbike near Torrington
- 2 South Molton pub attacker must pay compensation after kicking customer in head
- 3 Northam murder suspect accused of telling a 'litany of lies' about killing
- 4 £60,000 street marshal investment to make North Devon safer
- 5 Plan for 173 homes on Torrington Creamery site approved despite no affordable homes
- 6 Evidence of damage found at Iron Age monument near Ilfracombe
- 7 Crash and assault in Ilfracombe - Police appeal
- 8 Northam Murder: Carer denies killing widow Carol Hart
- 9 Changes to reporting planning breaches in North Devon
- 10 Bideford man dies after Link Road crash near South Molton
Ahead of Children in Need on Friday, November 18, Hamish is holding a coffee morning in Shirwell Village Hall from 10am to 12noon on Saturday. (Nov 12)
The event will also include a cake stall, tombola and other activities.
On Sunday (Nov 13), he has enlisted the aid of local entertainer Dave Hendy, who will join him making and selling balloon sculptures in Barnstaple’s Green Lanes Shopping Centre, from 11am to 1pm.