Brave George takes first steps
THE parents of a disabled five-year-old boy have spoken of their tears of joy after watching their son take his first ever steps this week.
Last week, the Gazette reported how cerebral palsy sufferer George Palmer was making good progress following specialist spinal surgery at a hospital in the United States.
On Monday, mum Nicki described the magical moment she thought she might never see.
“Today was an incredible milestone – George has taken his first steps,” Nicki told the Gazette.
“He used his walker and took a few steps with limited help. We were all crying and amazed that he has tried so soon and was so, so determined to do it
You may also want to watch:
“I am one very happy and proud mummy this afternoon. I really hope that now he has tried he will continue to progress.”
Nicki said the family had had another good week at the St Louis Children’s Hospital, in Missouri.
- 1 £34,000 raised for plumber Jed Mason with stage four cancer in less than 48 hours
- 2 One of Bideford's oldest tea rooms sold at auction
- 3 'No Fuel' - Panic buying and fuel shortages hit North Devon
- 4 Clubber denies headbutt assault in Barnstaple
- 5 New details on Barnstaple town centre regeneration revealed
- 6 Brunswick Wharf developer given grant money to fix quay wall
- 7 Celebrations as gate to Pilton's Manning's Pit officially opened
- 8 Barnstaple dealer says £3,100 stash in loft was poor quality
- 9 Bideford's Millbrook Dairy awarded its first star at Great Taste Awards
- 10 Homeless man jailed after attacking Barnstaple soldier in McDonald's
“Time here is going very fast and George has just been simply amazing,” she said.
“Other firsts from the week include being able to hold his feet when lying down; wiggling his toes and moving his feet up and down.
“He is also able to sit in a much straighter, upright comfortable position now which will only get better.
“We are also noticing that George is sleeping much better and we wonder if that is because he is not stiff and therefore not waking up very stiff. Only time will tell.”