Braunton writer is the horse blogger!
A young writer and fan of all things equine from Braunton is heading down the home straight after being shortlisted in a competition to find Britain’s best young horseracing internet blogger.
Vicky Griffiths, aged 19, is one of six finalists in Racing’s Best Young Blogger for 16 to 25 year-olds, launched last month by Lovetheraces.com and The Guardian.
Their blogs will be posted on Lovetheraces.com throughout the summer and the ultimate winner will have a blog on the Guardian’s website, spend a week on the paper’s racing desk and win �1,000.
Vicky has had a passion for horses all her life and is currently on a gap year while working for jump trainer Victor Dartnell at Brayford.
She decided to enter the competition to help towards her dream of becoming a sports journalist and is no stranger to writing competitions, after winning the under 19 category of the Martin Wills Writing Awards in 2010.
You may also want to watch:
“I first got into the sport through pony racing, having loved it for as long as I can remember,” she said.
“I have ridden out for several years and have had a few rides in point-to-points. While I mostly enjoy being involved in the riding side, I find it very interesting to blog about any of the issues or news stories concerning racing, particularly if they affect the public perception of the sport or those who are involved in it.”
- 1 County Council Elections: Candidates for North Devon
- 2 County Council Elections: Candidates for Torridge
- 3 Devon County Council Elections: Candidate lists for North Devon and Torridge
- 4 Candidates for police and crime commissioner have their say
- 5 Police appeal after Barnstaple brawl
- 6 New Barnstaple restaurant offers Fine Dining at Home
- 7 Big opening-day wins for Bideford and Braunton
- 8 Dog Restrictions come into force on Westward Ho! Beach
- 9 Ilfracombe Drive-In Cinema returns this May
- 10 Pensioner gets suspended sentence for 'unspeakable abuse images'